• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

colleges announcing starters

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

georgia announced starter

asu chose sphomore over senior.senior keller will transfer

usf still doesnt announce starter

Web  Site    

MLB home

Teams »

Scores, etc. »

Experts »

Member SportingBlogs

Baseball-Reference.com

Tickets

Fantasy

AL East: BAL | BOS | NYY | TB | TOR

AL Central: CHW | CLE | DET | KC | MIN

AL West: LAA | OAK | SEA | TEX

NL East: ATL | FLA | NYM | PHI | WAS

NL Central: CHC | CIN | HOU | MIL | PIT | STL

NL West: ARI| COL | LAD | SD | SF

On MSNBC

Scores

Schedules

Standings

Statistics

Injuries

Depth charts

Jones

McNeal

Life in the minors

NFL home

Teams »

Scores, etc. »

Experts »

Member SportingBlogs

Tickets

Fantasy

War Room home

AFC East: BUF | MIA | NE | NYJ

AFC North: BAL | CIN | CLE | PIT

AFC South: HOU | IND | JAC | TEN

AFC West: DEN | KC | OAK | SD

NFC East: DAL | NYG | PHI | WAS

NFC North: CHI | DET | GB | MIN

NFC South: ATL | CAR | NO | TB

NFC West: ARI | SF | SEA | STL

On MSNBC

Scores

Schedules

Standings

Statistics

Injuries

Depth charts

Aikman

Attner

Baldinger

Dillon

Iyer

Pompei

Fantasy football

NBA home

Teams »

Scores, etc. »

Experts »

Member SportingBlogs

Tickets

Fantasy

Atlantic: BOS | NJ | NY | PHI | TOR

Midwest: CHI | CLE | DET | IND | MIL

Southeast: ATL | CHA | MIA | ORL | WAS

Southwest: DAL | HOU | MEM | NO | SA

Northwest: DEN | MIN | POR | SEA | UT

Pacific: GS | LAC | LAL | PHO | SAC

On MSNBC

Scores

Schedules

Standings

Statistics

Deveney

McNeal

NHL home

Teams »

Scores, etc. »

Experts »

Member SportingBlogs

Tickets

Fantasy

Atlantic: NJ | NYR | NYI | PHI | PIT

Northeast: BOS | BUF | MON | OTT | TOR

Southeast: ATL | CAR | FLA | TB | WAS

Central: CHI | CLB | DET | NAS | STL

Northwest: CGY | COL | EDM | MIN | VAN

Pacific: ANA | DAL | LA | PHO | SJ

On MSNBC

Scores

Schedules

Standings

Statistics

Yorio

Slover

NASCAR home

Schedule/Results

Experts »

Member SportingBlogs

Standings

Tickets

Fantasy

Spencer

Crossman

D'Hondt

Gilliland

CBK home

Teams

Scores, etc. »

Experts »

College Blogs

Member SportingBlogs

Recruiting

Tickets

On MSNBC

Scores

Schedules

Standings

Statistics

DeCourcy

Skwara

Meyer

Campus Watch

CFB home

Teams

Scores, etc. »

Experts »

College Blogs

Member SportingBlogs

Recruiting

Tickets

On MSNBC

Scores

Schedules

Standings

Statistics

Hayes

Dienhart

Farrell

Campus Watch

Fantasy home

Football

Baseball

Hoops

Hockey

More sports »

Strat-O-Matic

Fantasy Source Football

Fantasy Source Baseball

College Football

Golf

MLS

Stock Car

Join the discussion

Your Turn Showcase

Member SportingBlogs

Message Boards

MLB  NFL  NBA  NHL  NASCAR  College BK  College FB  FANTASY  YOUR TURN

CFB home: Teams |  Scores, etc. On MSNBC -Schedules -Standings -Statistics |  Experts Hayes Dienhart Farrell | College Blogs | Member SportingBlogs | News | Recruiting:  Rankings Rivals 100 ATH DB DE DT K LB OL QB RB TE WR

Ultimate Fantasy College Football

FREE! Pick 4 offenses and 4 defenses under a $35M salary cap. Compete for your favorite team and state! Sign Up Now

Sun Devils make abrupt change at QB

Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 12  

Posted: August 20, 2006

Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- In an abrupt change, Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter has decided to make sophomore Rudy Carpenter the starting quarterback.

Senior Sam Keller, named the starter on Friday, was excused from the Sun Devils' practice Sunday night and is considering transferring to another school.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's workout. "We're going to start Rudy Carpenter. I've excused Sam Keller from practice to consider his options."

Koetter said he decided to make the switch on Saturday and told the quarterbacks of his change of mind later that day.

"Coach Koetter just said 'Hey, I'm going to do what's best for the team. I'm going to do what the team wants,"' Carpenter said. "I think the decision is going to affect the team in the best way and this is what we're going to do."'

The team was told at a meeting Sunday afternoon.

"There's a lot of things that have happened," Carpenter said. "I'm not going to go into details about it, but with the quarterback situation like this, sometimes those things just happen."

According to the East Valley Tribune, several players requested a meeting with Koetter after the initial decision and told the coach they believed the job should go to Carpenter.

Neither Koetter nor Carpenter would confirm that the meeting took place.

"I talked to so many people about this," Koetter said. "This has been weighing heavy on my mind for a long, long time and I'm the one that screwed it up. I have to live with it. I'm also the one who has to fix it."

The 24th-ranked Sun Devils open their season Aug. 31 at home against Northern Arizona.

Keller has a redshirt season available, or he could transfer to an NCAA Division I-AA school and play immediately. Koetter said Keller is welcome to stay.

"I know the rumor is flying around there that he's been booted off the team. That's not true," Koetter said. "If Sam wants to come be our No. 2 quarterback, then we'd love to have him."

If Keller leaves, freshman Danny Sullivan, who had planned to redshirt this year, would become Carpenter's backup.

Carpenter was asked if he had thought of transferring after Koetter's initial decision to go with Keller.

"I'm not going to say I was considering leaving," he said, "but when you're put in that situation and you're frustrated and you're upset and you're angry, I think all your options weigh on your mind and they weigh heavily. Sometimes you've just got to do what's best for yourself."

Keller started the first seven games last season before going down with a hand injury. Carpenter came on to lead the country in passing efficiency, yards-per-pass attempt and touchdowns-to-interception ratio.

His performance led to a tight battle for the job going into this season.

Koetter had indicated that neither quarterback had outplayed the other in practice and that Keller largely was chosen because he was a senior. The coach said he had proposed going with a two-quarterback situation, but neither Keller nor Carpenter wanted that.

Last season, Keller completed 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards and 20 touchdowns, with nine interceptions. Carpenter completed 68 percent (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards and 17 touchdowns, with just two interceptions.

On Friday night, Keller said he was "humbled" to get the starting job.

"It's a dream to be a senior and be able to play for all the marbles," Keller said at the time. "I'm very humbled by it because the other guy deserved it as much as I do."

Tereshinski named Georgia's starting QB

Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 2  

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- In naming Joe Tereshinski the starting quarterback for Georgia's season-opening game against Western Kentucky, coach Mark Richt congratulated the senior Sunday night for the way he "held off these young bucks."

It was a good thing for Tereshinski he didn't have to overcome the young bucks' fancy resumes.

Tereshinski, a third-generation Georgia player, won all-state honors at Athens Academy, but he was not a national recruit on the level of Parade magazine all-America selections Joe Cox and Matt Stafford. He was not the player of the year in his state as was Blake Barnes in Mississippi.

But Tereshinski won the job with advantages in experience, as D.J. Shockley's backup last season, and perhaps of more significance, in consistency.

"I think Joe T. has done a great job of competing and performing and he's been very solid all the way through and he's been very consistent all the way through," Richt said.

"He's just done a good job of leading and learning the system and everything else. He's competed and held off these young bucks."

Cox, a redshirt freshman, was named Tereshinski's top backup. Stafford, a freshman, and sophomore Blake Barnes are tied for No. 3 on a quarterback depth chart Richt said may change when the competition moves from the practice field to real games.

"I'm looking for a guy who can make good decisions, hit his target and handle the pressures of the job," Richt said.

"It's very difficult to know the true answer until we play it out a little bit. Until we see these things unfold, I don't know if we'll really be sure."

Georgia, No. 15 in The Associated Press preseason poll, opens its season at home on Sept. 2 against Western Kentucky.

Richt left open the possibility of changes in the pecking order before the opener, except that Tereshinski is solid as the starter for that game.

"For certain, barring injury, that's what's going to happen," Richt said.

Richt said after Friday's scrimmage he would announce his decision Monday, but Sunday he said he moved up his announcement so he and quarterbacks coach Mike Bobo would have more time to meet with each of the four candidates.

"It's the toughest situation I've been in," Richt said, adding he normally has only two leading candidates but in this case believes each of the four "had a legitimate shot."

Tereshinski was considered the favorite even before he threw two touchdown passes with no interceptions in the scrimmage. Tereshinski played in 13 games with one start last season. He completed 25 of 49 passes for 371 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

While waiting for a chance to play quarterback, Tereshinski spent two years on special teams, even serving as the snapper in the 2003 season opener and the 2005 Outback Bowl.

Richt said if he were awarding the starting job based only on high school honors, Stafford would be the pick.

"Because of his notoriety, if we were just paying attention to that we would have said 'you're the starter' when we signed him," Richt said.

Stafford had three interceptions in Friday's scrimmage and conceded he was "in kind of a daze" when he got picked off on his first possession.

Richt stressed he was not disappointed in Stafford. Richt left open the possibility Stafford could be redshirted. Richt also noted Tereshinski doesn't have the same job security as did Shockley last season and David Greene the previous four years.

"The main thing I talked to (Stafford) about was to continue to compete and to continue to get better and see how this thing unfolds," Richt said. "As much as Joe T. has been here a long time, it's not like he's got one or two or three seasons of starting under his belt."

Added Richt of Tereshinski: "He certainly deserves the right to start and he may play lights out, but I don't know what's going to happen and because of that we have to continue to be on the ready and continue to improve."

Richt also hinted Stafford may still have the most potential once he catches up in learning the offense.

"Quite frankly of all the guys, the more he learns, the better he's going to be," Richt said of Stafford.

Cox and Barnes each threw one touchdown pass and had one interception in the scrimmage.

Cox was a high school teammate of Georgia receiver Mohamed Massaquoi at Independence High in Charlotte, N.C. Cox threw four interceptions in the spring G-Day game but otherwise was on target in the spring and preseason practices.

"His mechanics are very outstanding," Richt said of Cox. "He's a consistently accurate passer. Like everybody else he's learning the system more and more and getting more comfortable with it. Like all of them he's a fierce competitor."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

SPEAK OUT ON THIS ARTICLE

» Comment on this article | Tell me how

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Posted by DirkDawggler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 08:19 am

Athens, GA (AP) The hazy mid-August sky above this bustling north Georgia town, known for college football, rock and roll, bodacious co-eds, and Bar-B-Que, suddenly and unexpectedly fell earlier this morning. Meteorologists and military personnel were baffled as to why the heavens suddenly lowered and came crashing down upon the greater Clarke county area today. "One possible reason," said a local city official, "is that a senior quarterback was named starter late last night over much heralded, highly touted-yet-inexperienced freshman and sophomore signal callers." Local radio were yet to issue evacuation orders and directions out of the city. However, public officials were posting directions on numerous websites to the nearest drinking establishments. Stay tuned to this website for the latest developments....

Approval Rating: 100% (out of 1 reviews).

Rate or reply to this comment | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love for Joe T

Posted by gobear1 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 09:41 am

I think Joe is gonna surpise a lot of people and I think Georgia is going to also.

Dirk, one word: Hilarious!

Approval Rating: 0% (out of 0 reviews).

E-mail this | Comment on this article

All times are EDT

Page 1 of 1

Where Fans Buy & Sell College Football Tickets

2006 Conference Preview

The SportingNews.com Online Bookstore has the 2006 College Football Big Ten and SEC Preview magazines available now.

SEC Preview

Big Ten Preview

Team Gear Offers:

Team Fan Shop | Texas National Champ Gear

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- In naming Joe Tereshinski the starting quarterback for Georgia's season-opening game against Western Kentucky, coach Mark Richt congratulated the senior Sunday night for the way he "held off these young bucks."

It was a good thing for Tereshinski he didn't have to overcome the young bucks' fancy resumes.

Tereshinski, a third-generation Georgia player, won all-state honors at Athens Academy, but he was not a national recruit on the level of Parade magazine all-America selections Joe Cox and Matt Stafford. He was not the player of the year in his state as was Blake Barnes in Mississippi.

But Tereshinski won the job with advantages in experience, as D.J. Shockley's backup last season, and perhaps of more significance, in consistency.

"I think Joe T. has done a great job of competing and performing and he's been very solid all the way through and he's been very consistent all the way through," Richt said.

"He's just done a good job of leading and learning the system and everything else. He's competed and held off these young bucks."

Cox, a redshirt freshman, was named Tereshinski's top backup. Stafford, a freshman, and sophomore Blake Barnes are tied for No. 3 on a quarterback depth chart Richt said may change when the competition moves from the practice field to real games.

"I'm looking for a guy who can make good decisions, hit his target and handle the pressures of the job," Richt said.

"It's very difficult to know the true answer until we play it out a little bit. Until we see these things unfold, I don't know if we'll really be sure."

Georgia, No. 15 in The Associated Press preseason poll, opens its season at home on Sept. 2 against Western Kentucky.

Richt left open the possibility of changes in the pecking order before the opener, except that Tereshinski is solid as the starter for that game.

Richt said after Friday's scrimmage he would announce his decision Monday, but Sunday he said he moved up his announcement so he and quarterbacks coach Mike Bobo would have more time to meet with each of the four candidates.

"It's the toughest situation I've been in," Richt said, adding he normally has only two leading candidates but in this case believes each of the four "had a legitimate shot."

Tereshinski was considered the favorite even before he threw two touchdown passes with no interceptions in the scrimmage. Tereshinski played in 13 games with one start last season. He completed 25 of 49 passes for 371 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

While waiting for a chance to play quarterback, Tereshinski spent two years on special teams, even serving as the snapper in the 2003 season opener and the 2005 Outback Bowl.

Richt said if he were awarding the starting job based only on high school honors, Stafford would be the pick.

"Because of his notoriety, if we were just paying attention to that we would have said 'you're the starter' when we signed him," Richt said.

Stafford had three interceptions in Friday's scrimmage and conceded he was "in kind of a daze" when he got picked off on his first possession.

Richt stressed he was not disappointed in Stafford. Richt left open the possibility Stafford could be redshirted. Richt also noted Tereshinski doesn't have the same job security as did Shockley last season and David Greene the previous four years.

"The main thing I talked to (Stafford) about was to continue to compete and to continue to get better and see how this thing unfolds," Richt said. "As much as Joe T. has been here a long time, it's not like he's got one or two or three seasons of starting under his belt."

Added Richt of Tereshinski: "He certainly deserves the right to start and he may play lights out, but I don't know what's going to happen and because of that we have to continue to be on the ready and continue to improve."

Richt also hinted Stafford may still have the most potential once he catches up in learning the offense.

"Quite frankly of all the guys, the more he learns, the better he's going to be," Richt said of Stafford.

Cox and Barnes each threw one touchdown pass and had one interception in the scrimmage.

Cox was a high school teammate of Georgia receiver Mohamed Massaquoi at Independence High in Charlotte, N.C. Cox threw four interceptions in the spring G-Day game but otherwise was on target in the spring and preseason practices.

"His mechanics are very outstanding," Richt said of Cox. "He's a consistently accurate passer. Like everybody else he's learning the system more and more and getting more comfortable with it. Like all of them he's a fierce competitor."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments

Athens, GA (AP) The hazy mid-August sky above this bustling north Georgia town, known for college football, rock and roll, bodacious co-eds, and Bar-B-Que, suddenly and unexpectedly fell earlier this morning. Meteorologists and military personnel were baffled as to why the heavens suddenly lowered and came crashing down upon the greater Clarke county area today. "One possible reason," said a local city official, "is that a senior quarterback was named starter late last night over much heralded, highly touted-yet-inexperienced freshman and sophomore signal callers." Local radio were yet to issue evacuation orders and directions out of the city. However, public officials were posting directions on numerous websites to the nearest drinking establishments. Stay tuned to this website for the latest developments....

Love for Joe T

I think Joe is gonna surpise a lot of people and I think Georgia is going to also.

All times are EDT

Page 1 of 1

2006 Conference Preview

The SportingNews.com Online Bookstore has the 2006 College Football Big Ten and SEC Preview magazines available now.

SEC Preview

Big Ten Preview

Team Gear Offers:

Associated Press

Cox, a redshirt fres

Associated Press

Comments

Love for Joe T

All times are EDT

Page 1 of 1

2006 Conference Preview

SEC Preview

Big Ten Preview

Team Gear Offers:

Associated Press

Comments

Love for Joe T

All times are EDT

Page 1 of 1

2006 Conference Preview

SEC Preview

Big Ten Preview

Team Gear Offers:

Associated Press

Cox, a redshirt fres

UCLA REPORT

Dorrell Calls Signal of Approval for Olson

By Lonnie White, Times Staff Writer

August 22, 2006

UCLA's quarterback competition officially came to an end Monday when Coach Karl Dorrell named Ben Olson the starter over fellow redshirt sophomore Patrick Cowan.

The decision did not come as a surprise to many.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I was taking the mentality that I was the starter until I was told otherwise," said Olson, 23, who transferred to UCLA last year after a two-year Mormon mission and a redshirt season at Brigham Young.

"I've been waiting for this for a long time…. It was definitely a learning experience for me. You learn that things are not always going to go your way and you're not going to get things just handed to you in life. I had to work for this. It's something that I definitely appreciate."

Dorrell said Cowan was unable to beat out Olson.

"Pat did a nice job in developing in picking up stuff and pushing [Olson], but it really came down that he didn't overcome the situation," Dorrell said. "When you're a contender for a job, you have to play well above what the other guy is doing."

Cowan, who did not attempt a pass last season, said, "I gave it my best and Ben won the competition. I did all I could. I came focused every day ready to play and what happened, happened…. All I can do now is prepare myself in case I'm called upon."

Dorrell said the Bruins needed to name a starter in order to give that quarterback enough time to prepare for the season opener against Utah on Sept. 2.

Olson, who lost out to unrelated Drew Olson in training camp last year, now has to regroup after competing with Cowan throughout training camp and spring drills.

"You have to be a confident player no matter what happens to you," Olson said. "There's going to be rough times, and the last two weeks were not the most enjoyable two weeks of my life."

Now it's all about Utah for Olson, who completed two of four passes for 11 yards last season.

"You definitely have a different feeling, knowing that you are the guy," said Olson, who will start his first game since his senior season at Thousand Oaks High in 2001.

leavitt refuses to announce a #1 qb

az qb keller going to nebraska

another soph beats out a senior

AROUND THE NATION

Hinds Will Start at Quarterback for UNLV

From the Associated Press

August 23, 2006

In less than a year, Rocky Hinds has gone from the Nevada Las Vegas quarterback of the future to quarterback of the present.

Hinds, a sophomore who transferred from USC a year ago, was named the Rebels' starter Monday, beating out senior Shane Steichen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hinds hasn't played the last three seasons. He was injured in his senior season of high school, redshirted as a USC freshman and sat out last year under NCAA transfer rules.

will leavitt ever MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT

Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller, who lost his starting job over the weekend, is considering a transfer to Nebraska or other schools, according to ESPN.com.