• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches take issue with game clock rule changes

I just wanna know this: WHY are they doing this? What's the benefit? If they're tired of games running too late, here's a novel idea - START THEM EARLIER

Not too LATE ... but too LONG.

I thought the clock started again after a first down on ready for play already.  Seems to me that the only real change will be on kickoffs that are not returned... they will take 4-5 seconds off the clock.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

so more or less it is the same clock rules as the NFL

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I wonder if they got the interpretation of first-down clock starts wrong in that article. They're saying it doesn't start again until the next snap, which is not right - it starts when the chains are set to go. If they mean they're going to keep running the clock while the chains are moving, then that's a big change. But it's the exact reason why the games take so long.

And all these coaches whining about underdogs stalling for time, that's ridiculous. If your defense could get them off the field or your offense would stop giving them the ball in scoring range, you would win under any set of rules.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

ANY reduction in duration of game will benefit the underdog team...assuming the underdog team is actually less talanted.  The longer a game is, the more the depth and strength of the favorite will come into play.  Of course, the total time this reduces a game is minimal, and the effects will most likely be unnoticed 95% or more of the time.  Just a tiny paper-thin shaving of parity has been added, that's all.  The more talented/better coached teams are still going to be winning.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

"I think it will help the underdog teams," South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier told USA Today. "If you're the underdog, obviously you would like fewer plays in the game."

HE IS CORRECT.THERE WILL BE 10-15 LESS PLAYS A GAME.OVER COURSE OF TIME WITH MORE PLAYS TALENT WILL OVERTAKE LESS TALENT.

SOMEONE ON THIS BOARD CALLING SPURRIER AN IDIOTT IS FUNNY

You are right, I should not cast judgement. I should leave that for the Washington Redskins fans.....I wonder what they think?  ;D

THEY PROBABLY WISHED THEY GOT THE 25 MILLION DOLLARS

THIS RULE IS GOOD FOR USF

YOU GUYS SHOULD BE HAPPY

A SHORTER GAME IS BETTER FOR USF,A TEAM THAT WILL HAVE NO OFFENSE