• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn QB Situation

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

sports_masthead_569x52.gif

UConn's Bonislawski hopes to put painful 2005 season behind him

NEILL OSTROUT nostrout@ctpost.com

STORRS — Matt Bonislawski had high hopes for the 2005 college football season. After beating out then-freshman D.J. Hernandez for the right to succeed Dan Orlovsky as UConn's quarterback, the junior from Natrona Heights, Pa., expected big things.

And after helping the Huskies get off to a respectable 3-1 start — despite an early schedule that few respected — Bonislawski felt pretty good about his team's chances in Big East play heading into their league opener against Syracuse Oct. 7.

UConn's game against the Orange, despite turning into a nice 26-7 victory, was the beginning of the end for Bonislawski. The 6-foot-3, 221-pounder fractured his left clavicle during the first quarter of play at Rentschler Field.

"Last year didn't go the way I wanted," Bonislawski lamented Friday after UConn's first practice of 2006.

Bonislawski surprisingly returned for a Nov. 12 game against Pittsburgh. Coach Randy Edsall was so intent on keeping the QB switch a surprise that he wouldn't let Bonislawski warm up on the grass at Heinz Field, instead making him spend most of his pre-game time in the tunnels beneath the stands.

Bonislawski played well that day in Pittsburgh, but the Huskies still came away with a painful 24-0 loss.

To add injury to insult — which the Huskies inadvertently did on multiple occasions last year — Bonislawski was knocked out of the game, and the rest of the season, the following week against South Florida.

Though he returned to game action less than five weeks after undergoing surgery, Bonislawski wasn't 100 percent and was frustrated by his recovery time.

"I thought it would be a lot faster," Bonislawski said. "When I came back for Pitt, I thought I was fine and ready to go. I wasn't expecting anything else to happen after that."

So after getting knocked out of the USF game did Bonislawski think he returned too soon?

"You never know. It could have happened any time," Bonislawski said.

Seemingly always up for a game, Bonislawski tried his best to compete with Hernandez during spring practice. Again, it was clear he wasn't at full strength.

"In the spring I was struggling. I really couldn't do too much," Bonislawski said. "Some days I could go. Some days it was just tough coming out."

Bonislawski says his injury feels "all right" at this point and he is curious to find out how his body reacts when the Huskies wear full pads for practice on Tuesday. But despite his continuing concerns, Bonislawski says his goal this month is to "earn his position back."

"I think I just have to show that I'm the same as the beginning of last year, get my throwing back," Bonislawski said. "I'm looking forward to the competition. Both of us are going to keep competing."

Hernandez is also coming off a season of injuries, though his hand fracture appears completely healed at this point. Edsall has praised Hernandez' summer regimen, noting that he's seen the Bristol native working out at Memorial Stadium before 6:30 a.m. at times.

"We have to do whatever it takes to win," Hernandez said. "I felt I really had to work on my drops and my patience in the pocket. I thought I needed to get up and do some extra work. This summer I dedicated myself to football."

Based on his performance in the spring and work over the summer, Hernandez is the No. 1 quarterback on the roster at this point. Bonislawski wants back in the mix badly, but says his friendship with Hernandez shouldn't suffer.

"Both of our goals are to win," Bonislawski said. "That's what it's all about."

Story Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

their qbs were good enough to beat usf in our most important game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

^^^^ point well taken.