• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Supreme Court Say NO to Clarett

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Supreme Court Denies Stay in Clarett Case

By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Maurice Clarett's bid to enter the NFL draft this weekend was turned down by the Supreme Court on Thursday, delaying for now his attempt to get into the league.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said she saw no reason to overturn a lower court's stay preventing the former Ohio State running back from being picked.

The 20-year-old Clarett is fighting the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro.

Ginsburg said she would not intervene given the NFL's "commitment promptly to conduct a supplemental draft" if Clarett eventually is determined eligible.

The NFL had said Clarett could participate in training camps this summer, if he wins his case in a lower court.

"Today's decision confirms the judgment of the court of appeals and allows us to turn our focus from the courtroom to the draft room," Jeff Pash, the NFL's in-house attorney, said in a statement.

Calls to Clarett's attorney were not immediately returned.

The decision also keeps wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California out of the draft.

Williams, who entered the draft after the original decision allowing in Clarett, would have been a first-round pick while Clarett likely would have gone in the second or third round.

Clarett was appealing a stay issued Monday by the New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites), putting on hold a lower-court ruling that said the NFL can't enforce its three-year rule.

Ginsburg issued the decision because she oversees appeals from New York, which is where the NFL is based.

Clarett led Ohio State to a national title as a freshman, but was ruled ineligible as a sophomore for accepting money from a family friend and lying about it to NCAA (news - web sites) and university investigators. Clarett, out of high school two years, would be eligible for the 2005 draft under the current rule.

Clarett's attorney, Alan Milstein, had told Ginsburg the player would "suffer substantial irreparable injury" if he was not allowed in the draft.

Clarett could refile his request with another justice, but the outcome likely would not be different.

Most emergency appeals are rejected by the court.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel had said it was "far-fetched" that Clarett would return to play for the Buckeyes. He dropped out of classes at Ohio State after the winter quarter.

"From an academic standpoint, unless the NCAA really changes its posture about academics, I think it would be difficult," Tressel said.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Good, i like it!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

bad,bad decision and very unfair

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

Ginsberg slams the door.  You go girl!!

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

i have to agree with Smazza on this one... anybody should be eligible for the draft, let the NFL  owners/coaches decided who gets to play, not a dumb rule.  

It is not over yet though... Clarett's attorney is still working

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

fat lady is humming... woohoo!

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

i have to agree with Smazza on this one... anybody should be eligible for the draft, let the NFL  owners/coaches decided who gets to play, not a dumb rule.  

It is not over yet though... Clarett's attorney is still working

Tough to go any higher then US Supreme Court.  He is not going to NFL and I am glad for rule though I feel bad for Mike Williams and hope he petitions NCAA and gets back in school and is allowed to play.

the only issue now is will court of appeal

a.over turn exisitng law

or

b. distinguish this case  from existing law

]

court is so far off base I won't even venture a guess

funny, you repubs aren't screaming activist judges now!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

The court of appeal turned him down twice last week.  I posted the article here somewhere.

Nevermind....It wasn't the Court of Appeal he filed two emergency appeals.

it would somehow be ironic if USA instituted a draft and army got him before NFL

i know the guys on this thread would laugh their head off if that happened