• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

nfl draft weekend

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

The order among the first 10 teams in the National Football League draft remains intact, but few involved believe that will last. Movement — and plenty of it — is expected among the teams in these final hours preceding Saturday's selections.

The factors that could spark activity include the salivating for Iowa offensive tackle Robert Gallery and the assessment that at least the first eight picks are of superior quality.

Advertisement

"The treasured positions traditionally in the draft are left tackle, quarterback and running back," said Kellen Winslow Sr., the Hall of Fame tight end whose son, tight end Kellen Jr. from the University of Miami, is all but certain to be a top-10 pick.

"Tight ends, free safeties and wide receivers are supposed to go lower on your list. But in this draft, some of the best overall talent is at those positions, and it is confusing some of the people doing the drafting.

"How do we justify using such a high pick on one of those positions is a question a lot of teams are asking themselves. But some teams have the need at those positions, see the player there and will have no problem making that move. I suspect there is a ton of action going on behind the scenes."

Not to mention hand-wringing.

No team wants to pass on a difference-maker. Some teams at the top want to move down — but not too far down — and still get a dominant player. Some teams, particularly in the middle of the draft, realize they are only a few spots away from a potential star.

In interviews yesterday with two head coaches, three general managers and two scouts, there was a consensus on the top 10 picks. (Southern California wide receiver Mike Williams, whose eligibility is in question, was left out of the mix.)

1. SAN DIEGO The sentiment remains that the Giants are the front-runners to leap to No. 1 in a trade with the Chargers to nab quarterback Eli Manning.

Ernie Accorsi, the Giants' general manger, said yesterday: "If I had to put my $2 down, I'd guess they are going to keep it and make the pick. We had to explore it.

"I think it's fascinating. There has been no action yet and I think there is going to be a lot of action."

2. OAKLAND Texas receiver Roy Williams is the fastest receiver in the draft, and that makes him the Raiders' kind of guy.

Thus, Oakland has considered a trade with Washington or Cleveland to move down to No. 5 or No. 7, get Williams and gain more picks. Washington or Cleveland would then nab Gallery.

If the Raiders stay at No. 2, they will most likely take Gallery, who is the rarest commodity in the draft, a potential star left tackle, a position that is difficult to fill.

3. ARIZONA The Cardinals have long locked in on Pittsburgh receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Arizona's new coach, Dennis Green, has known Fitzgerald since he was a child who used to attend Minnesota Vikings practices when Green was the Vikings' coach. If Gallery is not selected in the first two picks, the Cardinals will receive a frenzy of tempting offers for this pick.

4. GIANTS A move to the top spot to draft Manning is a wish. A prayer would be for Gallery to fall to this spot. If Manning and Gallery are gone, the Giants could trade down to as low as No. 7 and draft quarterback Ben Roethlisberger or simply draft him with this pick.

5. WASHINGTON Winslow is the clear favorite.

6. DETROIT The Lions covet Winslow but are expected to select running back Steven Jackson from Oregon State. The Lions believe they could trade down a few spots and still get Jackson. Miami safety Sean Taylor and Williams, the Texas receiver, will be difficult to ignore.

7. CLEVELAND Coach Butch Davis recruited Taylor and knows his talent and his upside.

8. ATLANTA If Roy Williams is still on the board, he goes here. If not, Atlanta would leap toward Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

9. JACKSONVILLE Defensive linemen Tommie Harris from Oklahoma or Kenechi Udeze of U.S.C. would make the Jaguars smile.

10. HOUSTON Virginia Tech running back Kevin Jones is enticing here, as are South Carolina cornerback Dunta Robinson and Ohio State defensive end Will Smith.

Pittsburgh looks settled on North Carolina State quarterback Philip Rivers at No. 11.

The Jets, who select 12th, need help at linebacker and cornerback. They could have their choice of two players they rate highly, Robinson or Miami linebacker D. J. Williams. Robinson is considered a shutdown corner, something the Jets desperately need to play the more aggressive, man-to-man style of defense that new coordinator Donnie Henderson wants to use.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Smazz,

how do you see the Williams/clarett thing working out... will the stay be upheld or will the two be eligible for the draft?  Personally, i don't want them in the draft, even if they are talented enough... if you are forced to let in freshman, its only a matter of time before highschoolers are in the draft.  NFL should be allowed to make its own rules up about when someone is eligible and apply it across the board.  As long as they stick to a standard and don't allow exceptions, it should be fine.... jmho.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

Smazz,

how do you see the Williams/clarett thing working out... will the stay be upheld or will the two be eligible for the draft?  Personally, i don't want them in the draft, even if they are talented enough... if you are forced to let in freshman, its only a matter of time before highschoolers are in the draft.  NFL should be allowed to make its own rules up about when someone is eligible and apply it across the board.  As long as they stick to a standard and don't allow exceptions, it should be fine.... jmho.

I believe there are like 8 high school players that have entered the draft and are also awaiting the clarett verdict.  Apparently none of the HS kids are realy special and most likely dont have the brains for college.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

but what makes the NFL different from the NBA or MLB or any other pro sport that has kids much younger than 20 playing??? The NFL is a HUGE monopoly and I am surprised nobody has challenged this before.  Anybody that argures they are not ready or talented enough is not the issue, the issued is whether they should be eligible to be drafted or not.  Anybody should be able to be drafted into the NFL, let the scouts and GM's determine if they are ready or not, not how old someone is.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I personally don't like that the NBA allows it either, but this isn't really about talent... obviously some people are talented enough (KG, Kobe, Lebron), but too many people jump too early to the NBA... would like to see them make an impact in college first before they are given millions of dollars.

but what makes the NFL different from the NBA or MLB or any other pro sport that has kids much younger than 20 playing??? The NFL is a HUGE monopoly and I am surprised nobody has challenged this before.  Anybody that argures they are not ready or talented enough is not the issue, the issued is whether they should be eligible to be drafted or not.  Anybody should be able to be drafted into the NFL, let the scouts and GM's determine if they are ready or not, not how old someone is.

I dont agree as in NFL a HS kid does not have the muscle to play with the big boys and one of them will be killed on the field.  Also figure in that they are taking a vets job so they are going to try and kill them.  NFL is for men where as NBA and MLB you can get by without being musclebound.    I wish NBA aso had a rule to keep people out until they have been out of HS for at least three years.

BTW How is the NFL a monopoly? The NFL has no anti-trust exemption like MLB.  Ever heard of Arena league? USFL? XFL? CFL? Arena league II?

I dont agree as in NFL a HS kid does not have the muscle to play with the big boys and one of them will be killed on the field.  Also figure in that they are taking a vets job so they are going to try and kill them.  NFL is for men where as NBA and MLB you can get by without being musclebound.    I wish NBA aso had a rule to keep people out until they have been out of HS for at least three years.

i never said the HS kids could play in the NFL, i said they should be eligible for the draft.  Just because someone is eligible for the draft does not mean they will be on the field.   leave it to the GM's and scouts to pick who they want... if they think the HS kids are ready or want to sacrifice one of their veteran roster spots to develop a kid, why should they be limited by the kids draft age??

BTW How is the NFL a monopoly? The NFL has no anti-trust exemption like MLB.  Ever heard of Arena league? USFL? XFL? CFL? Arena league II?

USFL? dead

XFL? dead

CFL? may as well be dead

Arena I and II are no competition for the NFL, completely different seasons and not really even the same game.  

NFL has NO competition so I consider it a monopoly.  

USFL? dead

XFL? dead

CFL? may as well be dead

Arena I and II are no competition for the NFL, completely different seasons and not really even the same game.  

NFL has NO competition so I consider it a monopoly.  

They have no competition because no one has found something better yet or equal.  USFL came close but no cigar.  Maybe this is the time for some start up league who can take all the underclassmen and start a feeder league?