• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

fess up

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

A Florida man was indicted Tuesday on a charge that he threatened Notre Dame football coach Tyrone Willingham.

Andrew K. French, 24, of Fort Myers, Fla., faces a federal charge of transmitting in interstate commerce, a communication containing a threat to injure.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald J. Schmid declined to say who was allegedly threatened, but Willingham confirmed after spring practice on Tuesday that he was the target.

"I think I'm one of many across the country, possibly, that could have received the same threat," Willingham said.

Willingham declined to say how he received the threat or the contents.

"I will only acknowledge that the threat was there and it is something you do take quite serious," he said.

Willingham said he was aware of the investigation but did not know about the indictment.

Schmid declined to give details of the allegations other than what was included in the indictment, which said the threat was made late last year. The case was investigated by the FBI and the Notre Dame Security-Police Department.

French, who turned himself in to U.S. Marshal's office on Monday, made his initial court appearance on Tuesday.

He was released on $1,000 cash bond on the conditions that he not set foot on the Notre Dame campus and that he not try to telephone anyone employed by or associated with the university, Schmid said.

French was not a student at Notre Dame, Schmid said. French could not be reached for comment.