• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Boosters Refute Huggy Story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Uh oh, might want to stop the circle jerk... :-X

http://www.sptimesphotos.com/blogs/usf/

Key boosters dismiss Huggins report, endorse McCullum

Note to readers: This is a copy of a story Greg Auman has written for the St. Petersburg Times.

-- Kevin McGeever, editor, sptimes.com

TAMPA … On the day a national sports site reported that a group of USF boosters were trying to oust basketball coach Robert McCullum in favor of former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins, key Bulls supporters on Monday told the Times they're committed to their coach.

""I can say that the Iron Bulls Club is in support of Coach McCullum and appreciative of what he's doing,'' said Buddy Johnson, chairman of USF's organization for boosters donating more than $10,000 annually. ""I can guarantee there are boosters that like what he's doing, and obviously from a characterstandpoint, he's the right guy.''

McCullum's Bulls have lost a school-record 16 consecutive games and are 0-14 in their first season in the Big East. McCullum has a 27-57 record in three seasons with USF and three years remaining on his contract. His defenders point to the numerous injuries and unexpected departures that have factored in USF's struggles this season.

""The boosters I'm friends with, the ones I've known for years who understand the workings of college basketball are 100 percent behind McCullum,'' said **** Wittcoff, a prominent booster and season-ticket holder since 1980 who has a scholarship endowed in his name. ""He's had so many bad breaks this year, but I'm 100 percent behind him. He's an educator and a teacher first and a coach second. That's what it's all about.''

SI.com's Seth Davis, citing an unnamed booster, reported that USF supporters have been in contact with Huggins' Cincinnati attorney, Richard Katz, about the job. Katz, reached Monday night, said his client will coach in a major program next season but has not begun to consider his options. ""That job's not open, and we'll consider whatever is open,'' he said.

USF athletic director Doug Woolard declined to comment, and McCullum, preparing for Wednesday's home game against No. 2 Connecticut, said he was ""not going to respond to that type of sentiment . . . I don't think the media is where you deal with these kinds of situations.''

Before USF took its first loss this season, starting point guard Chris Howard was lost to a season-ending knee injury, another potential starter left to play professionally in Europe and another guard was dismissed from the team. The Bulls had been picked to finish last in a talented and deep Big East before any of the injuries, which left McCullum with six or

seven healthy players for most of this season.

While USF is two losses from the worst record in its history, firing McCullum would be costly for a program whose athletic budget is limited compared with its Big East rivals. Buying out the remaining years of McCullum's contract would cost nearly

$900,000, and landing a coach such as Huggins might cost that much for a single season.

""I'm not aware of any widespread movement to that effect at all,'' Johnson said. ""I have not encountered that, but I understand what a bunch of injuries can do to a team.''

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Public Relations, we need to quiet this down.  Mac knows whats going on.   ;)

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

just an example of what happens when people overract to speculation.

here you have words straight from the horses mouth saying the boosters are behind coach mac.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

this is going to get a lot uglier before it starts to clear up.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

Why is Doug not commenting? If there is no comment then there could be some truth to this.

No comment from DW? Interesting...

Woolard won't comment unless something actually happens, he's got too much class to comment on speculation, rumors, or innuendo.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

just an example of what happens when people overract to speculation.

here you have words straight from the horses mouth saying the boosters are behind coach mac.

It was on the news guy.  Come on there is serious speculation.  And no word from DW is very interesting.

Why is Doug not commenting? If there is no comment then there could be some truth to this.

I disagree, especially in light of the fact that there are still games to be played.