• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Need some help on a project...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  0

I kinda feel like a member from the Oracle writing this, but if it gets me an A I dont care...

I have to give a presentation for my Sports Issues class, and the topic I chose was "College Bowl Games, Good and/or Bad?" Im asking you guys of your thoughts and if you dont like it what would you change? Plus this gives you something to do today... ;) But to give you guys some ideas, should we have so many bowl games, should the requirements change since we are going to 12 game schedules, BCS!, bowl gifts, money spent on bowl trips, etc. Thank You!

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  557

Despite all the hype behind a playoff system, I am in favor of the bowl games.  The money that the bowl games generate is amazing.  Not only do the sponsers generate alot of money, the schools, host cities, and the merchandisers all love the way things work right now.  And while some schools (i.e. UCF) loose money on going to a bowl game, the long term benefits such as recognition will hopefully recoup the money lost.  

I also think the bowl games ar amazing opportunities for schools like our own to be showcased on nationaly telivised stations.

While I do think that the BCS ratings could be alot better than they are, and certain teams (i.e. Auburn) occasionaly get shafted, I don't think that there could ever be a truely perfect system.  

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I took that class.  They don't really check the work...  Got an A!  Woo!  ;D  I think you should just give you honest opinion... I don't think the teacher knows much about the issues he wants students to post to anyway.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  102

Sounds like a low blow to the Oracle writers... hmmm, and after I did USFootball a favor. Tsk tsk.

I took that class as well and Mag Pie is right, they don't check much of what you write and I got an A as well.

Write about how bowl games are meant more for school promotion than for the team. It'll make you sound on the money for your argument for at least the first two sentences, which is all the instructor will read.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566

Sorry Mike, honestly its good way to get info since this board reaches a lot of people, and thanks again for the favor as well...I just wanted to hear what a few people thought, yah I know the teacher doesnt check on the info or something, I was just seeing if some people saw things different...and its something different than looking 6 months ahead to football or being sad about our mens bball team...

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

Despite all the hype behind a playoff system, I am in favor of the bowl games.  The money that the bowl games generate is amazing.  Not only do the sponsers generate alot of money, the schools, host cities, and the merchandisers all love the way things work right now.  And while some schools (i.e. UCF) loose money on going to a bowl game, the long term benefits such as recognition will hopefully recoup the money lost.  

I also think the bowl games ar amazing opportunities for schools like our own to be showcased on nationaly telivised stations.

While I do think that the BCS ratings could be alot better than they are, and certain teams (i.e. Auburn) occasionaly get shafted, I don't think that there could ever be a truely perfect system.  

Financially, is it a boon?  I don't know.  The specific bowls do well for the most part, but there are probably too many and some of them are just there to fill dead space.  Currently there are what, 26 bowls?

OK, but look at a tournament set up similarly -- say 32 teams playing for the national championship.

32 teams

1st week - 16 games (at regional sites (formerly bowl sites....maybe last tier bowls now)

2nd week - 8 games

3rd week  - 4 games

4th week - 2 games

week off and then

National Championship

31 total games.  More TV interest with each passing week and likely more revenue for all involved.  Now before you say it can't be done with 32 teams....why not?  Last games are typically Thanksgiving and 3/4s of those teams would be done two weeks into December.

It could be done as it is almost done now at I-AA level (16 teams).  It could even be trimmed to a 36 team tourney with some play-in games or byes or what have you.  

I do like the current bowl matchup, though....but from a revenue perspective the playoff system has some revenue opps as well.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i would be shocked if i wasnt the first guy to mention a 32 team playoff on this board

if not,freak is right on

this would be the most exciting  6 week event in sports

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  157

Before this years bowl game I was definitly in favor of the play off system.  But I had such a good time in Charlotte I definitly say bowl games are the way to go.  Plus the way playoffs run the top seed would play the low seed. USF would be the low seed for a long time, I dont know if alot of people would travel to watch us play Texas with a good chance we might loose....and if we did win... people would have to travel to a new city...

This would put a lot of strain on alot of wallets. And buy the time your team makes it to the National Champ. game you would be broke.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

i would be shocked if i wasnt the first guy to mention a 32 team playoff on this board

if not,freak is right on

this would be the most exciting  6 week event in sports

I agree, it would be one of the most exciting sports events.  It would make the teams earn their spot to the top and then a national champ.  Even though I know Bowls are for the school and there are lots of money issues.  But IMO noones cares about he Meineke Car bowl except for the 2 schools involved.  Never heard of it until USF was in it.  

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

I think the BCS system is unfair to the teams not in the BCS...I'm not sure if that's something you can write about, but it might give you some ideas.