• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCaskills continue Godby pipeline to Division I

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060202/SPORTS01/602020328/1002/SPORTS

As the crowd began to file into Godby High's auditorium Wednesday morning, Phyllis and Nathaniel McCaskill found two empty seats near the front of the stage. The drama was beginning to build.

''It's nerve-wracking, but this is very exciting to go arounda second time,'' Phyllis said and smiled.

Two down, one to go.

Phyllis and Nathaniel McCaskill were at Godby to watch son Kevin sign a National Letter of Intent to play college football at South Florida next season.

Their oldest son, Nevin, who also played at Godby, signed with Hampton University in Hampton, Va., four years ago. That leaves Keith, the twin brother of Kevin. Keith, a junior at Godby, is attracting college attention and hopes to follow in his brothers' footsteps.

It's easy to see football is a family affair at the McCaskill home.

''I just thank God Kevin's able to get a full scholarship to go a major university for school and to play ball,'' said Phyllis, who was wearing Kevin's CaliFlorida Bowl football jersey, while husband Nathaniel was sporting his son's North/South All-Star jersey.

''All the boys have their own unique style, their own character, their own way of playing ball,'' Phyllis said. ''They (Kevin and Keith) are very close, and this will be the first time they will be apart.''

Keith McCaskill, wearing a USF cap, sat next to his parents and watched Kevin find his place on stage.

''This is my second brother going off to college, so I have to be the next one,'' Keith said. ''You could tell Kevin was nervous this morning because he kept forgetting everything. He's emotional right now. He's probably trying to hold in a tear.''

Godby had a program-high seven players sign Letters of Intent before an overflow crowd. The players, each wearing their Godby letterman's jacket and a cap representing their college choice, were seated on stage. Their Godby football jerseys were positioned behind them and a large video screen hung from the ceiling.

Following individual introductions by coach Shelton Crews and video highlights, each player walked across stage to a table. They signed their Letter of Intent with family members seated beside them. Each player was met by a wave of applause.

''I barely could sign my name,'' said Kevin McCaskill, a four-year starter at center.''All the boys have their own unique style, their own character, their own way of playing ball.''

Originally published February 2, 2006

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486

If his brother can ball COME ON !!!!!!

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

how did nevin do at hampton,

is this kid to notch..cali/flor game  north/south are good games