• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Saw the Men's BBall scrimmage last night

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We can and will go small on numerous occasions.  3 or 4 guards out there.  Remember we do have size at the guard position.

Dennis 6'2/Howard 6'3/Buckley 6'6/Holmes 6'2/Mattis 6'6

And both Frane and Cann have range.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  90
  • Days Won:  0

I think Cann is hurt? Either way, kind of dissapointed to not seem him play yet...I would like to see where he is right now, as far his level of play.  We shall soon find out! I was impressed by Howard (Smart passing, nice tempo), Holmes (scoring from everywhere), Dennis (more aggressive), Sol (aggressive down low, good put backs) and who I think that will be our star ~ Melvin Buckley (Trifectas)!

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401

My starting 5:

C: Jones

PF: Richardson? (the guy from the dominican)

SF: Buckley

SG: Mattis

PG: Howard

Since we are so thin in the middle you need to make up for it with size elsewhere, hence Mattis as a big 2G. Plus Mattis will be our stopper, better defender than Dennis in my opinion.

Bring Dennis, Williams, Cann, Frane, and Holmes off the bench.

We have a chance to be somewhat competitive. I gotta believe that in Howard and Buckely you have two guys that can play anywhere in the conference.  Complimenting them with the right rotation will be the key.

How good is Cann? I've never seen him play myself. He'll be the X factor in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Mattis as a big 2G. Plus Mattis will be our stopper, better defender than Dennis in my opinion.

That is great to hear!  Bold, i must say, but good to hear.  I hope you are right because Dennis is excellent!

Cann was one of the best players in the country before his injury. He was a national HS standout as a sophmore.  Alot of big name schools backed off after his knee problem, but we stuck with it and it payed off.  If he can/does play to his potential, we have quite a steal!   But he is still on the heavy side.  Good shooter, good with the ball.. very good player all around.  6'6 240... if he can get the weight down just a bit, it will help his knee as well.

I'm most excited about how people are talking about Holmes' improvement.  To me, that was the thing i expected the least.  Having him as an offensive threat will only help Buckley get open, and vice versa.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

i haven't heard much of mattis as a two-guard. even with sills gone, i think you'll see holmes or dennis at the 2 whenever possible. mattis is a 3, which better suits his athleticism and wingspan. he'll be a great rebounder, but i don't know if he has the perimeter shot to be a 2. he had 12 rebounds in last night's scrimmage, more than solomon ... with marlyn gone, he should be the team's best dunker as well.

greg

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

oh, and cann hasn't practiced yet since undergoing minor knee surgery in late september. realistically, he's a 4 and will be the top backup to richardson and buckley at that position once he's healthy. he's got a good outside shot where he can step outside and create mismatches there.

aris williams can't come off the bench this year -- he's sitting out the season after transferring from valpo.

greg

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we will be alright with coach mac at helm

• Content Count:  823

Dennis is the best guard defender USF has seen in a long, long time.

Just imagine if Robert Montgomery Knight was at the helm......