• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF sees chance with its defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

NCAA FOOTBALL

USF sees chance with its defense

Bulls coach Jim Leavitt believes his team has a legitimate shot at beating Miami.

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

MIAMI -- The University of South Florida football team sees tonight's game at the Orange Bowl as a date with destiny.

The University of Miami, with its five national championships and string of 93 straight weeks of being ranked in the Associated Press college football poll, holds the ticket to the Bulls' dream.

A victory over Miami would make USF's win over Louisville last week seem small by comparison, though only seven days ago it was the biggest victory in the Bulls' nine-year-old history.

USF wants football fans in the state to see them as part of a "Big Four." With more national titles than Florida and Florida State combined, Miami could be considered the leader of the state's current Big Three.

For the second straight week USF is a 21-point underdog ... and loving it.

The lack of respect, despite knocking off previously unbeaten Louisville, then ranked ninth, provides motivation.

For USF head coach Jim Leavitt, there is no time to take a breath or even pound his chest a few times.

After the Louisville game, Leavitt allowed himself just a few seconds to soak in the victory, the first time USF had beaten a Top 10 nationally-ranked team.

"I never sleep at night after a game, so I figured I might as well watch film on Miami," Leavitt said. "Gosh, I couldn't find any weaknesses, they are awfully good."

Still, Leavitt feels optimistic about his team, primarily because of its defense.

Against Louisville, he found out the Bulls can play with one of the the best teams in the country. He may also have found an offensive weapon in receiver Amarri Jackson, a Riverview High graduate who had a breakout game, running for two touchdowns and passing for another.

University of Miami coach Larry Coker has known Leavitt a long time and won't be lured into a false sense of security with all the praise his friend heaps on the Hurricanes.

Miami played Louisville last year and escaped with a 41-38 victory at the Orange Bowl. Coker had a quick response when asked about the Bulls' victory over the Cardinals.

"No, it wasn't a fluke. ... The best team won the game," he said.

"South Florida played tremendous defense and came up with some big plays. It's hard to have a fluke with a 30-point win. Any win over Louisville would get your attention. We played them and know what they are about."

Though Leavitt likes to call Miami the juggernaut of all time, his players feel theyl they have a legitimate shot at winning, thanks to their defense.

The Bulls (3-1) have recorded 14 sacks, which is the same number of times Miami quarterback Kyle Wright has been sacked. They have given up only 30 points in their last three games and will be going against a Hurricanes (2-1) team that has averaged 17 points a game.

Miami allows only 96 yards per game on the ground, which would seem to give the 'Canes an edge because USF relies heavily on the running game led by Andre Hall, who is second in the Big East and 13th nationally, averaging 117 yards rushing per game. That would seem to put the pressure on USF quarterback Pat Julmiste, who has been a quiet contributor to South Florida's success. The rap on Julmiste is that he is not a strong passer, but he has proven to be elusive and cool under pressure. The junior hasn't been sacked in 70 pass attempts this year and is averaging 4.2 yards per carry

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051001/SPORTS/510010638/1006