• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ashley Burns SHUTS THE HELL UP!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

I think the breakdown of fans is definately a good idea. UCF fans keep claiming they brought approx 12,000 fans. Not sure what the actual number is but it was pretty clear at the game that they were here in force. The reason I bring this up is that who really cares about THOSE fans when we are talking about what OUR school wants? If you use the 12k number then what does the game look like? 45,000-12,000=33,000 fans. If you figure most visiting schools bring a few hundred fans or maybe a thousand on a good day then lets bring that number to about 34,000. Oh and of course we can't forget that we always inflate our numbers (funny I haven't heard anyone from ucf arguing about it this ONE game lol) so let's lop off about 3k for that and were at 31,000.

Definitely good attendance and the student turnout was good as well but that number isn't mind numbingly larger then the average games we have against decent opponents. The other thing I keep hearing is that nobody expects our school to travel nearly as well to the game next year. If that ends up the case then the attendance numbers point to just one more example of how this rivalry is more important to them then it is us IMO.

It will be interesting to see what USF takes over there next year.   Everybody predicted no attendance for this one yet it was the biggest on record.  I'm apt to doubt the prognosticators.

Looking around this board (and the other one) I'm pretty sure everybody on here (and the other one) within driving distance will make the trip.  That isn't saying anything for the total, but it will say that if you are a follower you'll put the 90 miles on your car.  I imagine a horde of students will feel the same way.

48-50k I think is a realistic bet.  The breakdown -- 43,000 desperate Knight fans that love this game.  7,000 Bulls fans.

If the Knights actually win a few games between now and then....well, Lord knows.  Hope, for them, would pack the house.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

It will be interesting to see what USF takes over there next year.   Everybody predicted no attendance for this one yet it was the biggest on record.  I'm apt to doubt the prognosticators.

Looking around this board (and the other one) I'm pretty sure everybody on here (and the other one) within driving distance will make the trip.  That isn't saying anything for the total, but it will say that if you are a follower you'll put the 90 miles on your car.  I imagine a horde of students will feel the same way.

48-50k I think is a realistic bet.  The breakdown -- 43,000 desperate Knight fans that love this game.  7,000 Bulls fans.

If the Knights actually win a few games between now and then....well, Lord knows.  Hope, for them, would pack the house.

I'm not sure who predicted nobody would show for this game. I think most believed this would be one of if not the highest attended games ever. However, this was also the first time we've played and therefore I don't think you can really judge the popularity of this as a series based on the results of the first game after a 9 year buildup. We kicked the crap out of them, if it happens again next year I'm guessing most usf fans/students will be as excited for this series as they are for famu...without the band's concert appeal.

I don't know, it just seems to me that if ucf showed up in the numbers claimed then we saw a somewhat higher then average attended game (on our part) with the total attendance reflecting the huge interest on the part of ucf fans. The results have us enjoying the "I told you so" feeling explaining the huge "internet" activity. But just as going to the game, if next year is the same then I think there just won't be the same excitement as this time around. Really I think the only thing that would keep this series interesting over the long haul will be for us to lose next year and unless things DRASTICALLY change then I don't see that happening, on the contrary I think next year will be the year we really shine.

I'm not sure who predicted nobody would show for this game. I think most believed this would be one of if not the highest attended games ever. However, this was also the first time we've played and therefore I don't think you can really judge the popularity of this as a series based on the results of the first game after a 9 year buildup. We kicked the crap out of them, if it happens again next year I'm guessing most usf fans/students will be as excited for this series as they are for famu...without the band's concert appeal.

I don't know, it just seems to me that if ucf showed up in the numbers claimed then we saw a somewhat higher then average attended game (on our part) with the total attendance reflecting the huge interest on the part of ucf fans. The results have us enjoying the "I told you so" feeling explaining the huge "internet" activity. But just as going to the game, if next year is the same then I think there just won't be the same excitement as this time around. Really I think the only thing that would keep this series interesting over the long haul will be for us to lose next year and unless things DRASTICALLY change then I don't see that happening, on the contrary I think next year will be the year we really shine.

I just think there is something different to this one.  Clearly some USF fans (alums mainly on these boards) hate UCF.  USF has gone to great lengths to avoid the game and the media has picked up on that avoidance.

USF is clearly avoiding them to not validate them.  That, in itself, shows some recognition of their program and makes them a little different than any other school out there.  

The media, the fans and even the students have picked up on it as well.  Look at all the articles written.  In most of them the words, "USF didn't want this game played" shows up in there.   Well, USF didn't want it played, but there is some inherent validation and attention played to the UCF program in those lines.

I don't know.  I think you can predict nobody will show because USF beat them two times in a row, but I just don't know.  I heard a lot from folks saying that UCF would only bring like 3000 and that USF students wouldn't care.  The thing about dominating a team like that is it creates more anger for the underdog and more opportunity to rub their noses in it for the winner.

I think USF students would drive over there just to taunt.  Again, my original point is what do the students think about the game?  I don't know.  I know that the internet community certainly was more charged up about it than any game this year -- as was the media (Tampa/Orlando/Lakeland media).

Guest S.  Bien

You want to doubt the prognosticators however the cheerleaders for this game were also predicting crowds of 50-60k.  Looks to me like we saw a happy medium, not as bad as some (including myself) predicted, but not as rosy as others expected.

That means you have to expect future years will also be about similar, and as the interest wanes so will attendance.

But maybe if you poll enough people they will side with you to keep it.

Guest S.  Bien

I just think there is something different to this one.  Clearly some USF fans (alums mainly on these boards) hate UCF.  USF has gone to great lengths to avoid the game and the media has picked up on that avoidance.

USF is clearly avoiding them to not validate them.  That, in itself, shows some recognition of their program and makes them a little different than any other school out there.  

The media, the fans and even the students have picked up on it as well.  Look at all the articles written.  In most of them the words, "USF didn't want this game played" shows up in there.   Well, USF didn't want it played, but there is some inherent validation and attention played to the UCF program in those lines.

I don't know.  I think you can predict nobody will show because USF beat them two times in a row, but I just don't know.  I heard a lot from folks saying that UCF would only bring like 3000 and that USF students wouldn't care.  The thing about dominating a team like that is it creates more anger for the underdog and more opportunity to rub their noses in it for the winner.

I think USF students would drive over there just to taunt.  Again, my original point is what do the students think about the game?  I don't know.  I know that the internet community certainly was more charged up about it than any game this year -- as was the media (Tampa/Orlando/Lakeland media).

No one is saying not to play them again, but we're BCS now, and we need to act like it.   You don't go asking the first girl that comes across to be your wife, nor do you create a marriage like this until you're certain it's what you want to be in.

Rivalries are different from playing UCF.  I am all for playing them so long as they sign 2 for 1 deals or something similar, and we have the opportunity to rotate and stagger the games (not every season).  You are doing the University a disservice by trying to force people into believing a rivalry must be necessary to play them.  We can play them and it not be a rivalry game, or at least they can be the ones that get excited about it.

So what is it FReak?  Are you OK if we play them but on our own terms or are you demanding everyone make this a rivalry, and regardless of our leverage position we automatically buy into a 1 and 1 (home and away) annualized series?  That's the bigger question, would you be happy if we played them once in a while to maintain some regional interest, and a semblence of a rivalry or are you demanding terms and conditions on your athletic department?

I for one see very little distinction right between UCF, FAU, and FIU.  UCF might bring a few more fans, but if USF keeps winning we won't need UCF's paltry fans, we'll build our OWN TRADITIONS!

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I think your right, something was different....for all sorts of reasons there was a large amount of curiousity about where our programs stood in relation to each other. Well, that's been answered and unless they do something to change that next year everyone (especially our fans) will think of them in the fiu/fau level. I certainly doubt anyone would be interested in having a defining game with a team from that group.

I will disagree with the "validation" argument. IMO validation had nothing to do with our decision not to play them. I think we had smart enough people in our administration to know that we would be competing with them for recruits and it certainly wouldn't have been beneficial to let ourselves get pounded during our growing up years. And now we are in a completely different situation. I don't think anyone had expected us to land in a BCS conference at this stage and now that we have it isn't about validation of ucf but about continuing to advance which won't happen by attaching ourselves to the level we are trying to get beyond.

I certainly wouldn't predict that nobody would go, of course people would go, they are close and it is our team. I do think it would be a big surprise that now that we are in a BCS conference with some very interesting conference teams coming into town, playing miami this year and both UF and another Miami game on the horizon that building a rivalry with a team that we pounded and nobody in this state (much less the nation) gives a **** about would continue to be something special. Just my opnion but that certainly has a "blah" effect on me when I look at all the other bright spots ahead.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

For the one who mentioned the attendence, the number was admitted to being inflated.  The announced crowd was around 45k and the actual was a little over 40k.

That's still pretty good.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118

I would deliberately NOT attend the game next year to "cast my vote" as saying I personally do not want USF to start a rivalry with UCF.

Unfortunately, if that's what it takes, people Not showing up to keep this bore of a match up from continuing, then that's what I'll do.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

You know, I think you just hit the nail on the head.  For years, the USF athletic department has done a good job of getting the important things done (conference affiliation, extending Leavitt's contract, etc.).  However, they've never been particularly good at motivating the press to shed the program in a positive light.  Meanwhile, if there's one thing UCF's been good at, it's been getting the press to do their bidding.  Let's face it, Kruczek had folks like Bianchi eating out of his hand trying to force this game when we didn't have as many scholarships as they did.  Now Orsini's doing the same thing.  I'm waiting for him to hire Karl Rove.  USF needs our own person working the media so that we get them actually behind us instead of waiting to pounce (Jerry Winters, Sami Al-Arian...).

USFFan

No one is saying not to play them again, but we're BCS now, and we need to act like it.   You don't go asking the first girl that comes across to be your wife, nor do you create a marriage like this until you're certain it's what you want to be in.

Rivalries are different from playing UCF.  I am all for playing them so long as they sign 2 for 1 deals or something similar, and we have the opportunity to rotate and stagger the games (not every season).  You are doing the University a disservice by trying to force people into believing a rivalry must be necessary to play them.  We can play them and it not be a rivalry game, or at least they can be the ones that get excited about it.

So what is it FReak?  Are you OK if we play them but on our own terms or are you demanding everyone make this a rivalry, and regardless of our leverage position we automatically buy into a 1 and 1 (home and away) annualized series?  That's the bigger question, would you be happy if we played them once in a while to maintain some regional interest, and a semblence of a rivalry or are you demanding terms and conditions on your athletic department?

I for one see very little distinction right between UCF, FAU, and FIU.  UCF might bring a few more fans, but if USF keeps winning we won't need UCF's paltry fans, we'll build our OWN TRADITIONS!

Yes, 2 for 1 or 3 for 1.  That goes without saying, though.