• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Practice - QB POLL !

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

i agree velcro

ET, i think u r just saying Eric b/c u share the same name

wish i could do the same

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I'm not sure if this article was posted on Spring Practice:

College football

Spring college football glance

By Times staff writers

Published March 14, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUTH FLORIDA

KEY RETURNERS: QB Pat Julmiste; QB Ronnie Banks; RB Clenton Crossley; RB/WR/PR/QB Brian Fisher; WR Allynson Sheffield; WR S.J. Green; WR Joe Bain; T Derrick Sarosi; T Levi Newton; G Chris Carothers; G/C Alex Herron; DT Lee Roy Selmon Jr.; DT Craig Kobel; DE Tim Jones; DE Terrence Royal; LB Stephen Nicholas; LB Devon Davis; CB Kenny Robinson; CB D'Juan Brown; CB Bruce Gipson; S Johnnie Jones; S Javan Camon; K Santiago Gramatica; P Brandon Baker; LS Justin Daniel.

NOTABLE INJURIES: S Johnnie Jones (shot in shoulder/neck), WR Rodney Joyner (knee), OT Broward Holsey (broken leg), LB Ronnie McCullough (knee).

QUESTIONS: Quarterback is the primary concern. Banks replaced four-year starter Marquel Blackwell in 2003, but after playing well early he tailed off and rotated with Julmiste over the final few games. They will battle for the top spot. The Bulls graduated several productive receivers, and it is no longer a position of strength, especially with Fisher moving to running back. With three running backs graduated Fisher could stay there, though junior-college standout Andre Hall arrives in the summer. On defense, four longtime starters must be replaced: safeties J.R. Reed and Kevin Verpaele and linebackers Maurice Jones and Courtney Davenport. Johnnie Jones, who sustained two gunshot wounds in late December, should be ready in the fall. Redshirt freshman Mike Jenkins figures at safety or cornerback. A horde of promising, inexperienced linebackers is led by Devon Davis, sophomore Pat St. Louis and redshirt freshmen Josh Balloon and Ben Moffitt. Plus, junior-college star Carlisle Johnson arrives in the summer.

PRACTICE SCHEDULE: Tuesday and Wednesday (shorts and helmets), Thursday and Saturday (full pads), March 23, 24 and 26 (full pads), March 27 (scrimmage/coaches clinic), March 30, 31 and April 1 (full pads), April 3 (scrimmage), April 6-7 (full pads).

GREEN AND GOLD GAME: 1 p.m. April 10, Raymond James Stadium.

- Compiled by Pete Young.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Bulls Kick Off Spring Still Searching For QB

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Mar 16, 2004

TAMPA - When South Florida begins spring football practice today, the Bulls will feature new assistants Carl Franks and Lawrence Dawsey. However, USF still is trying to solve a year-old problem: replacing quarterback Marquel Blackwell.

Blackwell has been gone since 2002, but USF couldn't settle on his replacement last year.

Ronnie Banks entered 2003 as the starter, but his confidence wavered in part because of a leaky offensive line and a knee injury. Pat Julmiste relieved Banks midway through the season but was inconsistent. The Bulls even used converted wide receiver Brian Fisher at quarterback.

``Finding a No. 1 quarterback this spring is our priority,'' USF coach Jim Leavitt said.

Julmiste will start the spring with a slight edge on Banks, Leavitt said, since the sophomore started last year's season finale. Banks, a senior, also may be limited this spring after undergoing knee surgery Feb. 6.

Last year Banks started eight games, finishing 127 of 261 for 1,448 yards, eight TDs and eight interceptions. Julmiste (two starts) was 26 of 59 for 402 yards, three TDs and three interceptions; Fisher (one start) was 15 of 23 for 107 yards, with one touchdown and an interception.

Leavitt said other priority areas were running back (having to replace two of last year's top three backs) and wide receiver (leading receivers Huey Whittaker and Elgin Hicks and captain Chris Iskra are gone).

Ironically, those are the positions Franks (running backs) and Dawsey (wide receivers) will coach.

``I've been very impressed with the players,'' said Franks, who was running backs coach at Florida before becoming Duke's head coach in 1999. ``I'm on a little bit of a learning curve, but this opportunity was one of those unusual things that made it so much sense to be here.''

Dawsey, a Bucs third-round pick in 1991 out of Florida State, played seven years in the NFL, five with Tampa Bay.

``I'm anxious to see what I'm working with and what we need to do to get better,'' Dawsey said. ``South Florida is headed to the Big East, but it's still a young program. This will give me a chance to get in and help build the program.''

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

hold the presses

the white guy is the ET?????????

a picture to go with the handle!

Qb postion  intrigues me and all the young talent on team.i would like alot of freshman to step up.

I see battles across the board actually ... the 2003 Recruiting class, especially Defense, was AWESOME.

The best man will win the job ... and make the team stronger.

... and yes, I'm the ugly white guy  8)

masthead.gif

Spring training? No, spring football

March 16, 2004

The USF football team opens spring practice today, with USF coach Jim Leavitt looking for some players to step up in the next month to challenge for a few voids on the squad.

The Bulls' most notable vacancy is at quarterback, though the team will have several to work with.

Headlining the race is redshirt freshman Pat Julmiste, who came on midseason to replace junior Ronnie Banks.

Julmiste may be able to improve his chances of becoming the team's starter in 2004, especially with Banks being limited in spring drills after undergoing knee surgery after last season.

The Bulls are scheduled for 12 practices and two scrimmages. The spring game is April 10 at Raymond James Stadium.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

any report on what happen today?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

If one of the new guys doesn't qualify maybe we'd be able to bring Carlton Williams in for summer practice rather than have him enroll in January. I am hopeful that he will be an outstanding Safety based on everything I've read.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

i clicked qb without reading the list, would have loved to put down the sundolls, can't wait to see what the squad will look like next year

Mike is right about there being many different stories ... as in each spring.

Regarding Safety, we do have some other "young" guys like Camon ... also the Purdue transfer, can't think of his name now ... too early.

Go BULLS !!!