• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Practice - QB POLL !

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

USF's Offense Dominates At Scrimmage

Published: Mar 21, 2004

TAMPA - In what resembled a controlled scrimmage, but what South Florida coach Jim Leavitt described as ``thump work,'' the offense scored six times in the red zone during Saturday's practice.

The offense started its series from the 20-, 6- and 3-yard lines.

``It was OK. We did a lot of good things,'' Leavitt said.

Santiago Gramatica opened the scoring with two field goals, from 37 and 35 yards. QB Anthony Severino, from Jesuit High, connected with former Durant star Trae Williams, who also scored on a 3- yard run, on an 11-yard touchdown pass.

RB Brian Fisher ran around right end for a 4-yard score and QB Evan Kraky threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to TE Derek Carter.

The only defensive stop was an interception by LB Devon Davis in the end zone. After the play, a fight broke out between OL Frank Davis and DB Mike Jenkins, setting off a melee between several offensive and defensive players.

``The intensity level was up,'' Leavitt said. ``Too much, though. That's why we ran a lot afterward.''

FOUND ONE: While USF's offensive coaches search for skill position replacements, defensive coordinator and secondary coach Rick Kravitz is looking to fill a giant void at both safety positions with the departure of last season's starters, J.R. Reed and Kevin Verpaele.

``We know Javan Camon will be the free safety,'' Kravitz said.

Camon, a standout on special teams, saw action in every game last year, making 18 tackles and recovering a fumble.

The strong safety and nickel back positions aren't as settled.

``Sidney Simpson is at strong safety and Drametrice Smith is the nickel right now,'' Kravitz said. ``But it's a wide open race. It could be Jeremy Burnett, Mike Jenkins or Kenny Robinson coming over from corner. We're excited to see how it's going to unfold and what two guys are going to step up.''

Also in the mix - if he's not redshirted - is Johnnie Jones, who is recovering after being shot twice in the neck and shoulder on Christmas after an argument in a Sarasota bar.

``I'm not sure what's going to happen with Johnnie,'' Kravitz said. ``He's getting himself back into shape. He's a go-getter and will try to get out there anytime he can.''

Gregg Becnel

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

good stuff

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

why did burnett leave purdue?

great timing on his part, but i am curious

Good question and I don't remember the reason ... maybe it was just "homesick", kinda just wanted to be back in the warmer climate?

I can never get this "search" to work for me on the board.  ::)

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

the knock on mullins is his arm strength. does the purdue transfer have to sit out a year or was he non-scholarship up there?

Not sure, but I think he can play this year ... 4get the situation.  :P

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

ET, the search function is very picky... i've gotten it to work, but you gotta be very specific, which does make it difficult.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

how come no body votes on these polls

how come no body votes on these polls

I'll take a poll to find out  ;D

... and I'm too impatient velcro  ;)

Guest S. Bien
the knock on mullins is his arm strength. does the purdue transfer have to sit out a year or was he non-scholarship up there?

The knock on Mullins is he's an extremely average QB.

The Purdue transfer, Jeremy Burnett, already sat out last season.  He transfered in last August and will play this year.  Jeremy was a scholarship athlete for Purdue, and he had offers from Iowa St., NCST, Missouri, Rutgers, and I believe USC but settled on Purdue.  He actually played a little as a freshman at Purdue, then didn't like the way things were going and became home sick.  He played at Jefferson HS where he was one of their only 4 year starters- starting on something like 50 straight games.  At Jefferson that was amazing.

He is 6-1 200lbs.  As a senior he was 1st team All-SunCoast from the Times, which is a four county scope, and the Tribune listed him as the 15th best athlete in the Tampa Bay Area (that scope included Hills, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando, and Citrus Counties. That was the same year that Chris Davis, Mike Williams, Elijiah Dukes, and Kwane Doster were in the area.  He was ranked in the top 100 for FL, and was a 2 time 1st team all-state.  He was voted runner-up to the defensive POY in Hillsborough County, voted by coaches, with starting DT at FSU Broderick Bunkley nosed him out.  Burnett has a fabulous work ethic, and he adds to the talent in that backfield.