• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Julimiste may seize contrl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Julmiste May Seize Control

test TAMPA

Aweek ago, South Florida may have lost a game and found a quarterback; we'll know more about that after tonight and in the next few weeks.

But, going into tonight's home opener here against Florida A&M, Pat Julmiste appears to have taken a commanding lead in the Bulls' battle at quarterback.

A week or so into the season, Julmiste does not seem like the same player he was a year ago, which is a good thing.

Although he said all the right things and Coach Jim Leavitt backed his play, at least to a certain extent, Julmiste did not seem to really have command of the offense last year.

The passing game sputtered under his control, although in fairness, much of that was because of inept play on the part of his receivers.

Still, when it was crunch time, when the game was on the line and it was time to deliver, you were never quite sure Julmiste could pull it off.

Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't; it was an uneasy feeling.

When he coached the Bucs, John McKay used to say a football team goes through three phases on its way to being a champion.

First, McKay said, you hope you can win. Then, as you have some success, you begin to think you can win. Finally, when you really become sure of yourself, you know you can win.

When you reach that point, that's when you're ready to become a championship contender.

Where the Bulls are on this line of progression is hard to say, but it's probably somewhere between hoping they can win and knowing they can, and getting to the final stage will depend a lot upon the quarterback.

Last year, there were doubts Julmiste could be that man. But now, he's beginning to show it might be possible.

"I think Pat's always been confident," Bulls' Coach Jim Leavitt remarked. "He works so hard. I don't think confidence has ever been a question.

"Quarterback's not an easy position to play," Leavitt went on. "People can struggle at that position, we saw that with Miami and Florida State.

"At times, Pat's done fairly well. At times, he hasn't," Leavitt added.

And that's been the problem. You can't have inconsistent play at quarterback and win consistently, and last year, Julmiste was very inconsistent.

Part of that may have been inexperience. Julmiste was just a sophomore in 2004, and it's difficult for a sophomore to lead a veteran team unless he is consistently able to spark play on the field.

Julmiste wasn't able to do that last year, which was why he ended up in a battle with Courtney Denson for the starting job.

But Julmiste seems different now. There is more authority in his voice when he speaks, more of a sense that he can do what's needed to win.

"I do feel more confident now," Julmiste said. "I can see what the defense is doing and go through my progression. Everything has slowed down. I've been here a while. I've seen everything.

"As far as I know, I'm the starting quarterback, and I'm not gonna play looking over my shoulder," he remarked.

If he keeps improving, it won't matter if he looks over his shoulder or not, because if he does, there won't be anybody behind him anyway.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050910/NEWS/509100372/1002/SPORTS

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

when he wins a game i will be impressed

as long as we lose how can any one qb be in control

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69

Amen, Smazza.  I apprieciate your realism and honesty on this board.  PJ would be lucky to be on the practice squad at Miami, UF, FSU.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I am hoping he builds up quite a lead by the 2nd half so that we may see Carlton Hill at QB for a few snaps.  The curiosity is killing me.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I BULLIeve PJ will have a strong outing and we won't see him in the 2nd half ...

He does have a long way to prove himself, but BULLieve he will. Has next week to fine tune before a major test against L'ville and then at Miami.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Amen, Smazza.  I apprieciate your realism and honesty on this board.

Smazza's "realism and honest" gets real old real quick on this board.  You'll see.   ;D