• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rutgers captains like what they've seen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Ryan Neill and Tres Moses won't pretend to know what the upcoming fall holds for Rutgers, but they are certain of one thing: The Knights are more prepared for success than they have been coming off any other preseason camp under head coach Greg Schiano.

They would know, having been through all five camps Schiano has overseen at the school -- two of just seven fifth-year seniors on the roster to be able to make that claim.

"I think this was by far the best camp we've had," said Neill, an all-Big East defensive end. "It has really gone smooth. Guys worked harder than ever, and I think we were in good condition."

The focus officially turned to next Saturday's opener at Illinois early yesterday afternoon when Rutgers put the finishing touches on summer camp with a three-hour morning practice.

The players are off now until Monday.

"We definitely had a productive camp," said Moses, an all-Big East wide receiver who set school records for receptions and yardage last season. "We got a lot done. We're definitely ready for next week."

Neill and Moses, tri-captains along with linebacker Will Gilkison, played a major role in a camp that was often described by those involved as business-like. Their leadership is exactly the type Schiano's still-building teams have lacked in the past.

"We didn't really have a down practice or one where we didn't take the most out of it that we could," Neill said. "We've had camps in past years where we came out exhausted and didn't get the leadership to get everyone up and going to have the type of practice we should have.

"That wasn't an issue this camp. Every practice this year we came out ready to get better."

Schiano came away pleased by what he saw this summer.

"I thought there was a good effort put forth by the players. They were in great shape," he said. "The continuity was a little bit disturbed because of some of the guys we had bumped at different times, but that's synonymous with camp.

"Overall, I thought it was very productive. It puts us in position to now do what we need to do, and that's get ready for the season."

Moses said "just the feel of this camp" was different than any of his four previous ones at Rutgers.

"It was real intense, real tough," he said. "At the same time, we feel we got everything accomplished that we wanted to. We came out with our goals set and focused on what we needed to get done."

"Business-like" is exactly how Neill said he would describe the summer sessions.

"I think that's a pretty good way to put it," he said. "We knew what we had to do. The guys that have been here a while have seen what doesn't get it done from our losing seasons in the past."

Asked if he considered this his best camp yet, Schiano offered a qualifying yes.

"'Best' is a tough thing to say, because each team has its own personality, its own chemistry," he said. "I think this camp fit what this team needed. That's why you can probably say it was."

What it all means for the season remains to be seen, but Moses likes this team's chances for the school's first winning record in 13 years.

"We do finally have the leadership we need. And the talent level is there," he said. "I really feel things are kind of set up for success."

Notes: Gilkison, slowed by a leg injury, did not practice and underwent further tests, but Schiano was not ruling out his starting weakside linebacker for next Saturday. "My gut (feeling) is that he will play in the opener," Schiano said. ... S Ron Girault (hamstring) did not practice but is expected back for the first time in two weeks on Monday.