• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Huskies Fill In Around Bones

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Junior Matt Bonislawski was officially named UConn's starting quarterback Thursday when the two-deep depth chart was released.

Bonislawski, a junior from Natrona Heights, Pa., will start in the season opener against Buffalo on Sept. 1 at Rentschler Field. Bonislawski, who will be making the first start of his career, beat out redshirt freshman D.J. Hernandez of Bristol.

It's still uncertain whether Terry Caulley or Cornell Brockington will start at running back. According to the depth chart, it will be one or the other, and coach Randy Edsall said he considers them equals and each will get a lot of playing time.

The overriding theme of the depth chart is youth.

Of the 44 players on the two-deep, there are only two seniors on offense and four on defense. In contrast, there are nine freshmen on offense and five on defense.

"This is a young team and I am anxious to see how it comes together and develops over the course of the year," Edsall said in a statement.

UConn players were not available for comment.

Edsall said because of the youth and inexperience, the lineup will almost certainly change as the season progresses.

"We had great competition at several positions and I like what I saw out of the players," Edsall said. "We're a young team, but one that is developing and I like that. Just because these are our starters and backups today, doesn't mean they'll be in those positions come December."

Bonislawski attempted only seven passes in two seasons as the backup to Dan Orlovsky. Bonislawski didn't get a terribly strong challenge from Hernandez, the 2003 Gatorade state high school player of the year at Bristol Central. Bonislawski had the edge in experience and is a more accurate passer.

"Matt is a bit more seasoned and has shown good skill," Edsall said. "I expect him to be our leader at that position. I'm anxious to see him guide this offense."

Edsall said the Huskies don't have a starting running back "in the traditional sense."

"I feel totally confident in both Cornell Brockington and Terry Caulley's abilities, which they have both demonstrated consistently both in games the past few years and practices this fall," he said. "They are both going to get a significant amount of playing time this year. I look at them as equals for the most part."

Brockington finished last season as the starter and led the Big East in rushing with 1,218 yards. Caulley began the 2002 and '03 seasons as the starter, but a knee injury cut short his 2003 season and kept him out all last year.

Caulley rushed for 1,247 yards in 10 games as a freshman and was leading the nation in rushing with 607 yards when he was injured against Virginia Tech.

The Huskies will open the season with two redshirt freshmen on the offensive line - center Trey Tonsing and right guard Immanuel Hutcherson - and a converted defensive lineman, left guard Matt Applebaum.

Sophomore defensive end Dan Davis and linebackers Taurien Sowell (senior) and Danny Lansanah (sophomore) earned starting positions at positions left open by the graduation of Tyler King, Alfred Fincher and Maurice Lloyd.

The secondary is also filled with new starters. Junior free safety M.J. Estep is the only returner to start all 12 games last season. The only real surprise was redshirt freshman Dahna Deleston from East Catholic High School earning the strong safety job ahead of Allan Barnes (who is listed as the backup free safety), Marvin Taylor and Donnell Ford. Freshman Darius Butler and junior Ernest Cole are the cornerbacks.

Redshirt freshman Rob Lunn is the new long snapper. Larry Taylor will be the primary punt returner and will work with Brandon McLean on kickoffs.