• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Verpaele update and odds 'n ends

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

USF Safety Verpaele Will Miss Opener At Penn State NOTEBOOK

Published: Aug 24, 2005

TAMPA - University of South Florida starting sophomore FS Danny Verpaele has been ruled out for the Bulls' Sept. 3 opener at Penn State.

With Verpaele sidelined, freshman Carlton Williams will get the start

Verpaele suffered a broken left foot in practice Aug. 13 and is scheduled to get his cast removed Tuesday. He is expected to return against Florida A&M (Sept. 10) or UCF (Sept. 17).

GAME TIMES SET: Kickoffs for USF's home games against Florida A&M and UCF will be 7 p.m., the school announced. USF's Nov. 19 home finale against Cincinnati has a noon start.

Game times for USF's remaining home games -- Louisville (Sept. 24) and West Virginia (Oct. 22) -- haven't been officially determined, but likely will be 7 p.m.

ODDS AND ENDS: USF's home game with UCF will be televised on FSN Florida. USF's only other scheduled TV game is Penn State (ESPNU).

However, Louisville, West Virginia and Miami (Oct. 1) all are expected to be on ESPNU as well. ... Backup RB Ricky Ponton remains slowed by a sore shoulder. "It isn't severe," Coach Jim Leavitt said. "We're just being cautious with him." ... USF will hold its fan appreciation day Saturday at 11 a.m. when fans can attend the final 30 minutes of practice.

Brett McMurphy

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBA2RY0RCE.html

Guest BasketBull.

I think we will be okay here.

Carlton Williams is a redshirt freshman, 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, was Class 5A all-state in Georgia in 2003. He had 89 tackles, two interceptions, two fumble recoveries and one sack for Valdosta High School. Carlton helped his team to an 8-3-1 season and played in the Georgia Football Coaches Association North-South All-Star Game.

gousfbulls.com

A late addition to USF’s roster in 2004, he arrived in late August and utilized a redshirt season…A good athlete with outstanding size in the secondary…Projects as a nickel back right away and heads into fall as the starter in that role…May also contribute in a safety spot.