• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pitt football Notebook: Murphy spends time at full

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt had many objectives heading into the Panthers' scrimmage yesterday, but the primary one was to make some sense of the running back situation.

The Panthers have five players vying for playing time at tailback. All have played well enough at times to make a case for themselves. Wannstedt knows he will have to make some tough choices in the next week.

"We ran the ball, we wanted to take advantage and take a good look at the running backs today and we did that," Wannstedt said.

"I thought the whole group played well. It is going to be a difficult decision, but we have to make it rather quickly because unfortunately only one guy can carry the ball and, when you start to get ready for an opponent, you really can't work any more than two backs."

Rashad Jennings continued to impress as he rushed 10 times for 66 yards and a touchdown. He and Tim Murphy, who ran seven times for 35 yards, continue to lead the pack, but yesterday coaches threw in a twist -- Murphy played fullback with Jennings at tailback.

"The good thing about Murphy and Ray Kirkley is they can play fullback," Wannstedt said. "They are both big enough and strong enough and tough enough that they can do both."

One player who continues to impress is freshman LaRod Stephens, who ran six times for 50 yards.

"I get excited every time we hand the ball to LaRod Stephens," Wannstedt said. "He kind of gives you that feeling every time he touches the ball he may go the distance. So, I think he helped himself today."

GameDay invades camp

An ESPN crew was at camp yesterday morning to film interviews and do some preparation for when ESPN GameDay sets up at Heinz Field for the Sept. 3 opener against Notre Dame. Former Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard interviewed Tyler Palko and H.B. Blades and also acted as a defender on receiver Joe DelSardo for a piece about the Panthers' passing game.

A success

Defensive tackle Thomas Smith had arthroscopic knee surgery yesterday morning and was back at the field on crutches before the morning practice ended.

"Thomas was out here and pumped ready to go this morning," Wannstedt said. "I talked with [Dr.] Freddie Fu earlier, and he said everything went very well, so that's encouraging."

Stull a step closer

Wannstedt said he won't make a formal decision about the backup quarterback, but, if the scrimmage yesterday was any indication, it is clear that Bill Stull has moved ahead of Shane Murray for the spot.

Stull took the bulk of the reps with the second team and played almost as much as Palko. Stull had a relatively good day passing -- he was 12 for 23 for 111 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Murray was 2 for 3 for 13 yards.

"I wasn't happy with the way I played today, but I'm still learning," Stull said. "Coach will watch the film tonight, and we'll get back at it tomorrow. Every day, we are learning and just trying to improve.

"I did get to run with the second team a lot but I just have to keep working and let coaches worry about those decisions."

Quick outs

The Panthers are starting to get banged up a little, but they have still managed to avoid major injuries. Safety Sam Bryant and defensive end Charles Sallet sat out of the scrimmage with minor muscle pulls. Linebacker Brian Bennett (knee) ran in the morning, but was held out of the scrimmage, and Chris McKillop missed the scrimmage with a minor elbow sprain. Wide receiver Greg Lee (shoulder) ran through drills in the morning, but did not participate in the scrimmage. ... Wannstedt was very pleased with his secondary, in particular, cornerback Josh Lay, who intercepted two passes. "I think it is clear if you are going to put the ball in the air against us, there is a good chance we are going to come down with it," Wannstedt said. "Josh Lay has had an outstanding camp, and he continues to play at a very high level for us."

Palko found out how good the Panthers' secondary is as he was picked off three times in the scrimmage. "We definitely have an excellent secondary. Those guys make it tough to pass, but that's a good challenge for us and will help us in the long run," Palko said.

Another player who earned Wannstedt's praise was linebacker Clint Session. ... Pitt's next and final scrimmage is scheduled Tuesday. ... Former Pitt coaches Foge Fazio and Johnny Majors and former assistant coach Louis "Bimbo" Cecconi watched practice. "We have the last 50 years of Pitt football covered here today," Wannstedt said.