• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Panthers' pass attack excited, too

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Pitt quarterback Tyler Palko gets excited every time someone asks him about the Panthers' new offense, especially the part about establishing a running game.

"I think this is a great offense," he said, "this is an offense that puts a lot of pressure on defenses because there are so many different things we can do. We need to establish a run game, and if we do, we'll be tough to stop."

That wasn't the response most people thought Palko would have since the offense is far more dependent on the power-run game than former coach Walt Harris' quarterback-friendly, pass-happy system.

But it didn't take long for offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh to convince Palko -- along with the rest of the team -- that while the offense is powered by the run game, it is also dependent on the pass.

"If you look at the best passing offenses out there, almost every one of them has a good running game as well," Cavanaugh said. "We want to be a multiple offense, we want to give multiple looks and we want to be able to beat a defense in a variety of ways. But our quarterbacks are still going to throw the ball their share.

"It's just that the run game sets everything else up. If you can run the football, you can do pretty much anything you want because you put the defense back on its heels. But obviously we have an experienced quarterback in Tyler and we want the ball in his hands, too. There's room to do both, we just want to be balanced in everything we do."

The offense, which is still a work in progress, has been a refreshing change for the running backs and the tight ends because in previous years they've felt a little left out. Even the offensive linemen are more happy because they are called on to attack the defense and run-block rather than the other way around.

The Panthers were 105th in NCAA Division I-A in rush offense last year and averaged only 97 yards on the ground per game. The Panthers had a running back gain more than 100 yards in game only three times last year and have not had a 1,000-yard rusher since Kevan Barlow in 2000.

This year those numbers figure to undergo a dramatic improvement as the Panthers are a much more physical and tougher unit. Cavanaugh said he's not certain if the Panthers will have a 1,000-yard rusher, but that's more a product of the fact that the team has a deep pool of talented running backs who likely will have to split time.

Starting right tackle Mike McGlynn believes fans will enjoy the Panthers' new offense even if it isn't racking up huge amounts of passing yards. He said the team now has a blue-collar approach to offense and is looking to take the fight to the opponents on every play.

"I love this kind of offense because I came from a high school where we ran every play," McGlynn said. "So the transition has been simple for me and most of the linemen. We want to establish the run now and if we do, Tyler's job gets easier and so does ours. I mean, if we are running well and run-blocking well, pass-blocking becomes so much easier.

"Last year part of our problem was that every one knew we were passing on every play so it made it easy for them to come after us and get our quarterback.

"Coach Cavanaugh is one of the smartest offensive minds in the country, he's really brought a great system here."

Cavanaugh, who was previously the offensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens, believes the Panthers can be a good power running team as early as this season, even though the personnel was by and large recruited to fit in a system that is far more finesse than muscle.

"The guys are working hard and they are learning," Cavanaugh said. "I think we have some of the pieces in place to get started this year. It is now about our commitment to teach and the kids commitment to learn and their desire to continue to work at it."

One interesting twist with the Panthers is the fact that they have three excellent tight ends (Darrell Strong, Erik Gill and Steve Buches) who are all weapons in different ways. Meanwhile, the receivers, especially with Greg Lee out, are largely unproven and have yet show the ability to make big plays. That means the tight ends are going to be called on to make the bulk of the big plays in the passing game.

While most coaches would struggle to figure out how to design an offense that utilizes three big-play tight ends and relies heavily on multiple tight end sets, Cavanaugh said the Panthers personnel is actually very similar to the Ravens.

"We had three excellent tight ends in Baltimore as well," Cavanaugh said. "And we used them in a lot of different ways in both the passing and run games and we will do a lot of the same things here. I think the most important thing we need to do is make sure that the things we try and do are best suited for the players we have here. We understand our strengths and we want to minimize our weaknesses."

The Panthers scrimmaged Friday for the second time in camp and the break down was roughly 60 percent run plays, 40 percent pass plays. McGlynn said that ratio is a sign that things are working.

"If you are running the ball with success a coach will stick with it," McGlynn said, "and if you are running the ball that much it is a sign that you are controlling and winning a lot of games."