• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UC goes with Grutza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

When University of Cincinnati coach Mark Dantonio announced Tuesday that Dustin Grutza would be his starting quarterback, it was about as unexpected as a Ken Griffey Jr. trade rumor.

After all, Grutza, a 6-foot-2, 202-pound redshirt freshman from Mason County High School in Maysville, Ky., had emerged from spring practice as the No. 1 contender for the starting job.

But Dantonio wanted to hold off naming a starter until he gave the newcomers this summer a chance to compete for the job.

With the Sept. 1 season opener against Eastern Michigan just a little more than two weeks away, that competition is effectively over.

"We've been here about a week," Dantonio said. "He's picked up where he left off (in the spring). Nobody has caught him as of yet. You always want to allow an opportunity for new players to come in and show what they have. Once we've done that, it's pretty clear right now that he's our guy."

That, of course, is exactly what Grutza has been waiting to hear since he signed with UC in February 2004.

"This was how I planned it," Grutza said. "I planned on coming in (last year) and redshirting, getting stronger, growing and learning the offense. It helped a lot doing that, because I learned the offense and I really feel comfortable out on the field."

So it's Grutza who will be charged initially with guiding the UC football program away from the Gino Guidugli era and into the Big East Conference.

Guidugli's act is a tough one to follow. He graduated last spring as the school's career passing leader and the holder of virtually every school passing record.

"There's a lot of pressure there," Grutza said. "But I like the pressure. It's going to push me to be a better player. I've got some big shoes to fill."

Grutza brings impressive credentials to the job. He passed for 8,004 yards in three years as the Mason County quarterback, completing 63 percent of his passes and rushing for 1,302 yards.

He was also a 4.0 student during his four years in high school and soaked up everything he could from Guidugli last year.

"Mainly I learned from just watching him," Grutza said, "but we roomed together at away games. I'd ask him questions about certain things and he was always willing to tell me."

It's Grutza's ability to run with the ball that the UC coaches hope will add a new dimension to the Bearcats' offense this season.

"Gino ran some," Dantonio said. "This guy can run more when he chooses to."

Grutza completed 12 of 19 passes for 115 yards and two touchdowns during Tuesday's scrimmage at Higher Ground Retreat Center in West Harrison, Ind.

"He makes a lot of good decisions as to what plays need to be in and he makes good decisions with his passing," Dantonio said. "He does a lot of things well."

At one time this season, UC had six quarterbacks on its roster. But freshman Dominick Goodman since has been moved to wide receiver, and newcomer David Wess, a sophomore, recently was switched to safety.

That leaves Grutza as the No. 1 quarterback, with junior-college transfer Nick Davila tentatively set at No. 2. Freshman Craig Carey and sophomore Todd Spitzer are the other two quarterbacks.

Senior offensive tackle Steve Eastlake says Grutza is perfect for UC's offense, but he also knows that it might take some time for him to get acclimated to Division I-A college football.

"He's not had a snap before in his life," Eastlake said. "A lot of things can change once you get in the game. We just have to back him up and make him feel comfortable in the pocket."

Grutza also must learn to develop a rapport with receivers who are accustomed to catching passes from Guidugli.

That won't happen overnight.

"It's going to take the first couple of games just for him to get used to the game speed," said junior tight end Brent Celek. "Once things start clicking, he'll be fine. I think he could be as good as Gino when he matures. He's got a great touch. I really like that about him. He's not winging it in there every time. He knows where to put it and how to put it there."

NOTES: Sophomore Bradley Glatthaar rushed for 122 yards on 19 carries in Tuesday's scrimmage. Butler Benton had 49 yards on 12 carries and Mike Daniels gained 46 yards on 15 carries. Daniels also caught two passes for 29 yards. ... Defensive end Adam Roberts, expected to be a force on the line, is out with a sprained ankle. He's expected to resume practice next week.