• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Johnson showing a lot of versatility

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Fans of Darcy Johnson are going to have to keep their head on a swivel to find him on the field this season.

Johnson, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound senior, is projected to be the starting tight end, but he has also lined up in the backfield at fullback and split out as a wide receiver.

"We're short a fullback, so we've got to put some tight ends there, we've got to play some positions we're not used to," Johnson said.

"We've got to be versatile. Tight end is a versatile position anyway."

The only fullback listed on UCF's roster is Shane Smith, a true freshman who spent last season at Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y. Smith rushed for 2,698 yards and 39 touchdowns as a senior at Honesdale (Pa.) High.

"Like any freshman he's getting used to the tempo of things and the rapid-fire teaching," running backs coach Jim Bernhardt said.

"As far as his effort, as far as his ability to play and fill a role that we're looking for out of him, I think he will be able to do it."

Smith has missed the past two days of practice because of a high ankle sprain.

Competition continues

Although Coach George O'Leary has seen some things that he likes thus far, he is not ready to name any of his defensive backs a starter.

"I'm still evaluating them all," O'Leary said. "There's about six that have caught my eye that I think can help us win."

One of the six is Ron Ellis, a junior from Palm Bay High who started seven games last season, including the final five.

"We're coming together as a core," Ellis said. "We have a little more experience this year, more knowledge and some good players."

In Saturday's team scrimmage period, Ellis and redshirt freshman Johnell Neal were working with the first-team defense.

"I think that's been a group that I think there has been different guys that have shined on different days," O'Leary said. "I don't think there are any two starting corners that I've seen yet."

Etc.

True freshman WR Rocky Ross garnered some snaps with the first-team offense in Saturday morning's practice, lining up with Brandon Marshall and Mike Walker in three wide-receiver sets. . . . The highlight of the skeleton passing period Saturday morning was reserve QB Ed Marynowitz hooking up with sophomore WR Sergiori Joachim for a long pass.