• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCONN HUSKIES FOOTBALL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

STORRS -- This is going to be a season of learning, growing and - presumably - watching for UConn freshman quarterbacks Dennis Brown and Billy Cundiff.

If Huskies coach Randy Edsall adheres to one of his standard practices, Brown and Cundiff will not play in any games this season.

The closer freshmen are to the ball, Edsall has often said, the less likely they will play. That pretty much rules out the two young quarterbacks.

The situation could change if Matt Bonislawski or D.J. Hernandez get injured or falter.

Stranger things have happened. In 2001, Dan Orlovsky played as a freshman after Ryan Tracey abruptly quit the team and Keron Henry was injured.

But Brown and Cundiff will likely be placed in the quarterback incubator until next year.

"I like them both very much," Edsall said. "They both can throw the ball extremely well. Their leadership abilities are very good. I'm pleased with their overall game."

Brown (6 feet 3, 185 pounds) from Miami, and Cundiff (6-2, 199) of Uniontown, Ohio, are part of a 24-player recruiting class that will go a long way toward shaping the Huskies' future.

Few freshmen will play this season, although Edsall has mentioned defensive backs Jimmy McClam and Courtney Robinson so often, it appears they might get an opportunity to contribute in their first year.

Brown and Cundiff have had a lot thrown at them since camp opened Aug. 5.

"It's pretty overwhelming," Cundiff said. "It's a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. I'm learning a lot. I think I'll get the hang of it soon."

Brown also said absorbing everything was somewhat daunting.

"I know most everything in the playbook," he said. "It's just learning what the defense does and what the offense does against certain defenses. Another week or two, I'll be familiar with the whole system."

The freshman quarterbacks are not getting time with the first- or second-team offense. With Orlovsky having moved on to the NFL, the Huskies are concentrating on getting Bonislawski and Hernandez ready. The freshmen have to keep up as best they can.

Edsall said the quarterbacks needed a life preserver to keep their heads above water in the first few days of camp. But a week into camp, he said, they were doing better.

"They don't seem to get rattled," Edsall said. "You can coach them and they understand things. We've been pleased with how they've been handling things."

Edsall made a rather startling statement about Cundiff.

"Billy is probably the best pure passer that we've had since I've been here," Edsall said. "That's not taking anything away from Dan. He's got the quick release. He flicks it and - boom - it's gone."

Edsall said Cundiff was a "better pure thrower" than Brown, but that Brown was probably a little more athletic. "But Dennis can still throw the ball," Edsall said.

Cundiff and Brown arrived knowing there was a chance they could get some playing time right away. But the freshmen also seem to know that there is a pecking order for a reason.

Cundiff said Bonislawski and Hernandez are "good quarterbacks. They have their own skills and capabilities, what they can and can't do. They're both good. They have the upper hand because they know everything. I just want to learn things and get the confidence of the older guys [on the team] and get their respect."

Brown is rooming with Bonislawski during camp. Bonislawski has been helping Brown learn the offense.

"We all get along well," Brown said. "It's a big family. The quarterbacks are helping the freshman quarterbacks. I'm not taking anything from Matt Bonislawski or D.J. Hernandez, they're great football players and I learn from them. I'm new to the system and they've been here. You've got to give them their respect."

Brown and Cundiff know their opportunity will come eventually.

"Once I get used to the system, things will be smooth," Brown said. "Right now I'm thinking a lot. Once I get it down, I'll go in there and handle my business."

Cundiff was reluctant to say he was aiming to play this season.

"I've got to see how much I can pick up along the way," he said. "The more I learn, the easier it will be. We'll just see how it goes."