• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Phillips' switch to safety sets Pitt's defensive b

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Pitt redshirt sophomore Mike Phillips has been told most of his career by a lot of people that his talents are better suited for safety than cornerback, but he never wanted to believe it.

Corner is my favorite position, it always has been," he said. "But, when people told me they thought I'd be a better safety, I guess it was a compliment because I am a pretty physical player and safeties are the ones who are usually associated with hitting.

"So that's all that is -- I am a physical player and I play aggressively like most safeties, but I can play anywhere they want me to. I just love to play."

Although Phillips began his Pitt career at cornerback and he is a corner at heart, he is now a safety. It is more than just a state of mind.

Phillips was asked by coaches in the spring to move to strong safety because the corner position is set with Darrelle Revis and Josh Lay.

The move was a natural one for Phillips, and it was a move designed to solidify the Panthers' secondary, which, perhaps, might be the best in the Big East Conference.

"I think if you look at our secondary -- with Darelle and Josh and Tez [Morris] and then the guys who are behind them as well, we're pretty deep," Phillips said. "I didn't have a problem moving because I knew it would be good for the team. That's really what this is all about -- what's best for the team. We're like a family out there, we all want to win for each other.

"I'm just blessed to have an opportunity to play college football, so position to me doesn't matter. Just put me on the field."

Phillips, who stands 5 feet 11 and weighs 195 pounds, had a good rookie season (he redshirted in 2003) last year at cornerback. He came out of camp as one of the starters and played well enough to keep Lay on the bench, at least for a while. Lay eventually played his way back to the first team, and Phillips dropped to the second.

Phillips figured to challenge for a starting job at corner in the spring, but coaches approached him about making the switch after starting strong safety Sam Bryant's ankle was broken and he was lost for the remainder of the spring. Phillips stepped into the position and, within two days, had an obvious understanding of the position.

"The key with Mike is he is a very serious player, he really studies and pays attention," defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads said. "So the switch was an easy one for him, and we knew it would be.

"He now can play all the positions in the secondary, which makes him a very valuable player for us.

"Sure his talents are a good fit for safety, but that doesn't mean he wasn't suited to play corner. We just happen to have two excellent corners in Darrelle and Josh, and the two guys behind them are coming along well so we needed to make a move in order to try and get our best 11 players on the field."

Bryant has returned to the Panthers and is close to full speed, but he must beat out Phillips if he wants a starting job. That is not something Phillips is willing to let happen.

"I think to start is an honor and a privilege you have to earn," Phillips said. "That's what I am working so hard for. I want to earn the right to be called a starter, so I just have to go out every day and push myself and play at the highest level possible. If I do that, the rest will take care of itself."