• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Runoff At UConn Too Close To Call

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

By TERRY PRICE, Courant Staff Writer

STORRS -- There is almost no daylight between UConn running backs Terry Caulley and Cornell Brockington.

Caulley has rushed for 1,854 yards in his career, eighth on the UConn list.

Brockington has rushed for 1,861 yards, seventh among Huskies.

Caulley has rushed for 22 touchdowns; Brockington, 21.

Caulley has eight career 100-yard games; Brockington, 10.

Caulley has 39 career receptions for 286 yards; Brockington, 41 for 295.

They're nearly identical in another way. Neither will say much, if anything, about the competition to earn the starting position this season.

"I don't have anything to say about that," Brockington said Wednesday.

"I don't know about that," said Caulley.

It won't be their decision, so even though it's in their hands as far as what they do on the practice field, it's really out of their hands.

Coach Randy Edsall presumably will name a starter for the Sept. 1 opener against Buffalo and have the other one ready to go in.

"We're fortunate that we have two guys that can go out there and contribute," Edsall said.

From all indications, Edsall will use both Caulley and Brockington extensively.

"The big thing is who we're playing and what they're doing will dictate a lot of things in terms of who's getting the ball and how we use them," Edsall said.

"It's a good opportunity to have guys like that because there is a lot more things you can do offensively when you have people of that ability."

Caulley, 5 feet 7, 187 pounds, missed the 2004 season recovering from a right knee injury sustained Sept. 27, 2003, against Virginia Tech.

Caulley, who was leading the nation in rushing when he was injured, has looked good in the first week of practice.

"I've just got to get in game shape and get ready to play for the season," he said. "I've worked all summer to get stronger and faster. Hopefully, the first game we'll see the outcome."

Brockington, who led the Big East in rushing last season with 1,218 yards, has been mildly chastised for not doing enough over the summer to get in top shape.

But that was the case last year, too.

Where Caulley is intent on proving he's all the way back, Brockington, 6 feet, 203 pounds, is more relaxed about the competition.

"It's no different," he said. "I go into every training camp to compete and get better."

Brockington said he is happy to have Caulley back.

"You can see he has that confidence back," Brockington said. "He looks good out there."

Brockington and Caulley, both juniors, competed in the Blue-White game at the end of spring practice in April. Brockington carried 17 times for 117 yards. Caulley had 12 carries for 73 yards.

Caulley was still testing his knee. He is far less tentative now.

Caulley's explosiveness earned him the starting job as a freshman in 2002, when he rushed for 1,247 yards in 10 games.

That season, Caulley had runs of 68, 60, 54, 33, 33 and 27 yards. The first four games of his sophomore year, he averaged just over 150 yards rushing.

Brockington runs with a little more power than Caulley, which should make for a good combination.

"I don't think you can ever go through a season with just one guy," said Edsall, "and there's plenty enough things we can do to make sure both of them stay fresh and both of them get enough touches on the ball."

Edsall is happy with the considerable depth the Huskies have at running back, including sophomore Larry Taylor and freshmen Donald Brown and Andre Dixon.

"I feel very good about the running back position," Edsall said. "The two freshmen that we brought in are very good backs, as well. Donald Brown has shown some things. Andre Dixon will take the ball and run it downhill. Anthony Barksdale at fullback is another guy. Knock on wood we stay healthy, but I think we're fortunate that we have some good backs to utilize."