• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Brohm's team, and he's ready to lead

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

If Brian Brohm didn't have that little bit of acne just beneath his bottom lip, you'd have to wonder whether his body contained circuits. He's just so flawless otherwise. It's hard to think a quarterback like him was born -- even though he has the Great Brohm Football Gene -- and not invented.

This prototype began his first August as the man, at least at the University of Louisville, yesterday. He opened with an obvious but appropriate declaration.

"This is my team now," Brohm said. "I have to take the reins and lead this team."

Rarely have words felt this right and this comforting.

Brohm didn't speak as an arrogant former high school Mr. Wonderful. He simply stated an understanding of his new challenge. He's a sophomore now, no longer the freshman backup getting snaps for the future's sake. The future is now the present. And he looks like a player about to guide the Cardinals into another realm of respectability.

"That kid's special," senior wide receiver Montrell Jones said. "That's basically all I can say.

"The only time I've seen a quarterback with my own eyes with his kind of awareness and pocket presence was when I was with my old team and Peyton Manning came back to Tennessee."

Leadership qualities

So much for Brohm needing to win over his teammates. It appears he already has done that, though you won't know for certain until this 2005 team is put in pressure situations.

Certainly, Brohm has done everything right thus far. The quarterbacks who get it understand the influence they have and use it to bring their teams together. They understand leadership means as much as arm strength. They're able to use their ability and their communication skills to earn respect. Brohm gets it.

"When you're the quarterback, all eyes are on you," he said. "You don't really have to do anything special. Anybody who's a quarterback just has to be comfortable with it."

Because Stefan LeFors mastered the leadership intangible, it was important his replacement did the same. The Cardinals' 11-1 run last season was as much about chemistry as it was talent, and in addition to being a great college player, LeFors has to rank as one of Louisville's all-time great leaders.

Brohm impressed this team with his humility as a freshman, and during the spring and summer the players saw him become comfortable as the Cardinals' centerpiece.

"When we'd do things wrong, instead of letting it go, he'd take a guy over to the side," senior wide receiver Joshua Tinch said. "He knows how to lead."

Cool customer

There was a moment last season when the players knew how special Brohm was. They all refer to the Miami game in October, when Brohm replaced a concussed LeFors in the fourth quarter and led them on a drive to retake the lead. Louisville lost the game 41-38 but proved itself before a national audience.

Brohm proved himself, too.

"He won us over in that Miami game," tackle Travis Leffew said. "If I had to step in there as a true freshman quarterback, I think I would've had to vomit on the field a few times or call a couple of timeouts.

"He did not stutter the cadence. He did not stutter in the huddle. It didn't surprise us at all, but it was like, 'This guy's no joke.' "

Now he's the man, unquestioned. He's the quarterback of a team expected to be great. He was programmed -- no, born -- for this challenge.

"I think I just thrive on high expectations," Brohm said. "Some people thrive on pressure, some don't want it on them. I want the pressure."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

UL could be scary for a long while if this guy lives up to billing!