• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Adds Former NFL Lineman Steve White

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

USF Football Adds Former NFL Lineman Steve White as Graduate Assistant

(July 21, 2005) Tampa, Fla. – Steve White, a seven-year NFL veteran defensive end has been named the defensive graduate assistant at USF, head coach Jim Leavitt said today. White played six seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and one with the New York Jets. He will work primarily with USF defensive line coach Earl Lane.

White was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the sixth round of the 1996 NFL Draft. The Eagles attempted to convert him to linebacker but released him prior to the start of the season, when he was immediately signed by Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers moved him back to the defensive end spot he played at Tennessee, and he went on to play 79 games for the Buccaneers between 1996 and 2001.

After six seasons with the Buccaneers, White signed with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent. He spent the 2001 season with the Jets and finished his seven-year career with 99 tackles and 11.5 sacks in 94 games played.

White, 31, is a native of Memphis and played 40 games with 21 starts at Tennessee from 1992-95.

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/News.asp?i=1674&s=Football

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

another guy that should be able to make an impact with recruiting at least... never hurts to have young, ex-NFL players on the staff

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

I hope this is the beginning of a pipeline.  I was hoping Paul Gruber would have came over and coached after he retired.  This is a great opportunity for Steve White to get a graduate degree and some coaching experience.  His experience will be invaluable.

8)

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Brett and Greg,

Why didn't either papers mention this?  A former Bucs player joining the coaching staff at USF would, I think, be of interest both Bucs and Bulls fans.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks, Howie... and Greg!

It was a Gator headline, so I must have ignored it.   :P

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Thanks, Howie... and Greg!

It was a Gator headline, so I must have ignored it.   :P

Greg explained that on short items he has no control over where they put it. Evidently, they consolidate various stories and use just one headline. If you check Google News under "Steve-White" it will show up. However, some times the item might not show up and then you have to check the SPT archives a couple of days later and it just might in one of the local editions.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

thanks for the link howie. saw steve in the office this week. as you guys have mentioned, it'll help a lot to have another NFL veteran on the staff. USF also looked at a younger candidate, player from Bartow named Rashad Faison, played safety at South Carolina under Lou Holtz. Wally Burnham had recruited him there, and I could see him landing a GA job with the Bulls down the road. same with marquel.

greg