• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Smack Talker Eriksen Gets a Little Back His Way

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

njLogoSmall.gif

Bethune-Cookman got some respect from the tournament committee when it was awarded an at-large bid. But respect is still hard to come by for the small historically black college program. South Florida coach Ken Eriksen apparently was having a hard time realizing his team had been beaten, commenting that B-CC must have had a rabbit's foot or lucky horseshoe to win Sunday. Maybe Eriksen didn't notice, but B-CC pitcher Lauren McCoy had eight strikeouts, catcher Rachel Kilbert made three sparkling defensive plays that led to putouts of USF base runners, and B-CC outhit USF 9-6.

Story Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

What the article didn't mention is that B-CC also had 5 errors in the game and that was probably what Ericksen was thinking about when he made that comment.

His actual quote is here:

Colleges

Bethune-Cookman takes care of USF

By IAN FISHER

Published May 23, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAINESVILLE - Coach Ken Eriksen wasn't disappointed his South Florida softball team was eliminated from its NCAA region Sunday because he was surprised the Bulls made it that far.

"I don't know what else to say," he said after Bethune-Cookman College defeated USF 5-2, ending the Bulls' season at 42-28. "I'm happy as hell.

"This team - four weeks ago, I'm sitting at home going, "Man, this is a golf weekend."'

B-CC (49-17), the bottom seed in the four-team region, won three games in a row. All four Wildcats players on the podium said their team is always underestimated.

"That feeds us; it has to," B-CC catcher Rachel Kilbert said. "We've come to like it, because we can't change their opinions. We just have to come out and play our game."

USF first baseman Carmela Liwag said her team did not underestimate B-CC.

"You can't go in thinking that a team is going to lie down for you," she said. "You've got to take every team like they're the best team in the world, and you've got to play your best to beat them."

Bethune-Cookman took command with three runs in the top of the first. Back-to-back singles and a Kasey Cash wild pitch put runners at second and third and another wild pitch scored a run. Kilbert followed with a two-run single to rightfield.

USF came back with two unearned runs in the first. B-CC scored in the sixth and seventh but USF had a chance to tie it in the seventh. Tiffany Stewart singled and Krista Holle walked with two outs. But with the tying run at the plate, Lauren McCoy finished a complete game, getting Danielle Urbanik to pop up to second base.

The Bulls had chances, but stranded 10 runners.

"They've got the right things going for them right now," Eriksen said of the Wildcats. "It's one of those destiny things or whatever the heck you call it."

B-CC advanced to a best-of-three super-region series starting Friday against Texas at Austin. The eight super-region winners advance to the Women's World Series June 2-8 in Oklahoma City.

Here is another quote:

5 errors can't derail 'Cats' magical, perfect run

By SPENCER DAVIS-VANNESS

Special to The News-Journal

Last update: May 23, 2005

GAINESVILLE -- It was as easy as 1-2-3 for the Wildcats, as Bethune-Cookman went a perfect 3-0 to make the school's first ever NCAA Super Regional.

The Wildcats avoided an additional afternoon playoff game Sunday by defeating South Florida 5-2 to go undefeated in winning the Gainesville Regional.

"We've always said that once we won one game of regionals, that we'd be past the hump and be unstoppable," said B-CC catcher Rachel Kilbert, who had a two-run single in the first inning. "We're excited to be going to the next level, and it feels wonderful."

The Wildcats move on to a best-of-three Super Regional against Texas beginning Friday in Austin, Texas.

B-CC (49-17) overcame a poor defensive showing Sunday, committing five errors but managing to hold USF (42-28) to only a pair of runs.

"I think Bethune had a good horseshoe or rabbit's foot thing going," USF coach Ken Eriksen said. "Any time you commit five errors, walk four batters and only give up two runs, then things must be going well for you."

B-CC pitcher Lauren McCoy was dominant once again, playing a large role in the Wildcats' ability to overcome their defensive mishaps. She completed her second game of the regional, bringing her weekend pitch total to a staggering 18 2/3 innings.

B-CC coach Laura Watten felt confident that McCoy was in control at all times.

"I've given her the keys and she's driving this thing," Watten said. "I ask her every inning how she's feeling and she's honest with me."

"Honesty is what good players do, what good team players do," she said. "And that's the best thing about this team, everyone on this team is all about this team."

For the third game this weekend, McCoy was also superb under pressure, carrying her team through a harrowing fifth inning that saw the Bulls load the bases with one out.

McCoy shot a visible smile to her teammates and fans and proceeded to retire the following two batters without so much as a pause.

"In those kind of situations I have nothing else to do," said McCoy, who finished with eight strikeouts. "You can look like you're frazzled and have high-blood pressure or you can just buckle down and get the job done."

"And I choose the latter."

"When I see her smiling, I know we're ready to go," Kilbert said. "It's a great thing to see."

Sunday's win is an overachievement for a team that was forced to wait out an at-large bid into this year's tournament after falling to in-state rival Florida A&M in their conference championship.

"I've always said we should go out and win regional games, but I've stopped it there," Watten said. "So I think that we may have to do a little reconsidering of our goals."

USF pitcher and former Flagler Palm Coast star Kasey Cash did not fare as well for the Bulls, lasting only one-third of the first inning, allowing three runs on three hits and two wild pitches before being relieved.

B-CC added insurance runs on sacrifices by Melanie Johnson and Andrea Thomas in the sixth and seventh innings.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

B-CC coach Laura Watten felt confident that McCoy was in control at all times.

"I've given her the keys and she's driving this thing," Watten said. "I ask her every inning how she's feeling and she's honest with me."

"Honesty is what good players do, what good team players do," she said. "And that's the best thing about this team, everyone on this team is all about this team."

this is what erikson should be doing instead of running his mouth!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

The reason I posted the quote was because the reporter chose to get a little saucy with Eriksen's comment.  Eriksen's smack was earlier in the week directed at UCF.

Reading the other stories posted by HowieP, I can see the full context of his comment, but I still think he should have handled the loss better.  

I always appreciate a coach that comments on his own team's or the other team's effort instead of the other team's "good luck."  And that is probably what the reporter was alluding too.  Yep, credit the lucky rabbit's foot instead of the team that beat you.  I mean, despite them nearly handing the game to the Bulls - B-CC held on after giving up two unearned and shut the Bulls out the rest of the way never yielding an earned run - that is impressive.

Eriksen is outspoken and perhaps a little arrogant - we all know that and in some ways appreciate it.

I understand why a pro-B-CC writer would write the comment in the News-Journal.  B-CC BEAT the Bulls, it had nothing to do with luck.  They may have taken offense to Eriksen's inability to professionally concede that B-CC beat them.