• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Newest Addition Excites McCullum

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Newest Addition Excites McCullum

A Tribune staff, wire report

Published: Apr 29, 2005

TAMPA - Brandon Stores, a 6-foot-10, 215-pound power forward from Cincinnati Christian Center Academy, signed with South Florida on Thursday.

A honorable mention national prep school All- American, Stores averaged 19.5 points, 12.7 rebounds, 5.1 blocks and three assists as a senior.

``I'm so excited, if you were here, you might see me doing a cartwheel,'' USF coach Robert McCullum said. ``That's how excited I am. My staff and I are ecstatic. What's encouraging is his tremendous upside and potential since he's only played organized basketball two years.''

Stores also had scholarship offers from Florida State, Temple, Georgia, Providence and Nebraska. Last year he verbally committed to New Mexico State, but reconsidered after the school changed coaches.

``At the beginning of the year, I said I wanted to play at the highest level I could and that's why I wanted to play in the Big East,'' Stores said. ``I picked USF because of the coaches and the players; it was like a family. Then when Coach McCullum visited my mom, and my mom said she liked him, it was a no-brainer.''

In the past year Stores said he grew 3 inches. His doctor said he might get taller.

``He's a highlight reel,'' former Christian Center Academy coach Travis McAvene said. ``He'll get people `oohing' and `aahing' in the stands. USF is getting a very athletic big man that's very agile for his size.''

Steve Arnold, who coached Stores for four months at Warren (Ohio) Harding High before Stores transferred, said Stores will help USF ``immensely. He'll bring a toughness and athleticism. He will be able to come in and play right away.''

Brett McMurphy

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBQPL8V38E.html

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Hell yeah! Way to go Coach Mac. With this guy and Sills I hope to be doing lots of "oohing & ahhing" in the stands myself next season.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  266

I thought people on here were so sure coach mac couldnt recruit and that we would be terrible because if it I think Coach has shown recruiting is no prob either.  What more will it take to convince some people on here that we have the right man for the job?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I thought people on here were so sure coach mac couldnt recruit and that we would be terrible because if it I think Coach has shown recruiting is no prob either.  What more will it take to convince some people on here that we have the right man for the job?

I'm sure the spin will now be "Yeah, he can bring them in but can he coach them??" .......

Guest S.  Bien

Phil,

I am a Coach Mac supporter, and one that felt he can recruit, but I wouldn't run around and brag about his recruiting prowess just yet.  First, snagging Howard, Stores, Sills, and Cann were good gets for him, and probably the best top line talent he could ascertain, but that's status quo for the BE and what he's expected to sign.  Sure he can get the Lotts, or Flowers of the world to talk to us but when reality hits it's difficult to spin out of it.  I think Mac landed a good class, for USF, but this was the type of class he had to sign if he wanted to be competitive in the Big East.  This is the type of class he Should be signing considering our BE moniker.  Now if he signs Brumbaugh, or a last minute coup then we can start bragging, but signing 3-4 three star guys, albeit is a big deal for USF, generally isn't that special for the BE, and it's the minimum standards expected for recruiting from a Big East team.  Had he not managed to sign this type of class well then the writing might have been on the wall.

All this proved to me is that Mac has the ability to recruit on a higher level, and be competitive recruiting in the BE.  That's a good sign because we know he can coach, now he just needs something a bit more to sell.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

I'm sure the spin will now be "Yeah, he can bring them in but can he coach them??" .......

the answer: CUSA tourney!!!

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

What more will it take to convince some people on here that we have the right man for the job?

Finishing above .500 in conference play.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Finishing above .500 in conference play.

I'd take .500 ....

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

coach mac has done an outstanding job

look where he started

when is his contract up?

can he coach football

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091