• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF no closer to RJF, but look to add another

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Don't know much about him, but he was listed and recruited as a 2 star LB by rivals in 2004...

http://michiganstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=25115

Scout had him ranked as a 3 star recruit:

A great linebacker prospect with great size, speed, explosion, and lateral ability.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=16&p=8&c=1&nid=1118350

But when he left Scout called him an offensive recruit:

Heralded recruit Tyrone McKenzie quits MSU

By Mike Fowler

Date: Jan 12, 2005

193801.jpg

One of Michigan State's top offensive recruits from a season ago, Tyrone McKenzie, has left the Spartans football team, dis-enrolled from school and is returning to his native Florida.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

RJL needs to make up his mind but this also makes me think do we really want someone who doesnt know if he is coming or going

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I say yes...we want someone saavy enough to not rush a decision.  But if he wants to go to LSU and his parents are forcing him to go here... that might be a problem.  If he comes here, i hope it is because he wants to.

Guest S.  Bien

rvbull is right on about Tyrone.  This kid will be brought in and they will play him at the position that most suits him.  He stands over 6-2, and is a full 225lbs, runs fast, and has nice explosiveness.

I've seen him once as a running back in HS, I don't know if he'd make a good back he stands so tall, and doesn't get his pad line down.  It's so rare to see a guy that's 6-2 or 6-3 become an effective TB.  It's worth a try, but MSU had him at DE, rush backer.  I would love to add him to OLB/Rush backer.  We need more pure speed at End, I would compromise size for more speed.

Everyone is so **** concerned about running back but trust me Chad Simpson, and Ricky Ponton are good, **** good.  They both have excellent speed, and good size.  Chad is 5-9 200lbs, and Ponton's closer to 5-11 210lbs.  Chad's got more breakaway speed then Andre Hall, and Ponton is more of the bruiser, two yards and a cloud of dust kind of back, but with more speed then Crossley.  

We are fine at RB, but if someone could be moved to that position I would vote for Josh Balloon over Trae Williams.  Trae's got good speed, but he's to jitterbugish in his running style, and lacks the size for moving the pile.  I remember Josh in HS, and he was often Jefferson HS's featured back, he was their shortyardage, and goal-line guy, but he ran it quite a bit.  This was while he was on a team that had Rashaun Grant, Super Soph Alex Suber, and Super JR Khevin Peoples....all four played RB, Josh played more FB, but he often lined up as TB in a one-back and demonstrated very good speed for his size, he kept his pad level down, good balance, decent acceleration, a very powerful athlete that was explosive at the point of contact, which for me would make him a nice short-yardage RB for USF.

As for RJF, let's back off a bit spazza.  The kid has a very tough decision, and with his brother that's mentally disabled RJF needs to make sure he's doing the right thing.  He will, and if he comes here then I will be happy and Ricky will have made a great decision.  If he goes elsewhere then he made a great decision.  USF will be fine RJF just needs to do what's best for him and his family.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  189

He was a good rb for the Sharks.  He played pretty good against East Bay(c/o of 03) against one hell of a defense that we had.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

As for RJF, let's back off a bit spazza.

I think smazza hit the nail on the head - everyone is alternatively drooling over themselves & breathless with anticipation over the antics of an 18 year-old kid. It is quite amusing to see the spectrum of reactions and comments this indecision has produced, regardless of the kid's actual situation.

I guess some people are just gluttons for punishment, though.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I'm waiting for the movie to come out!  ;D

STILL WAITING: The lingering question in football recruiting is whether Ricky Jean-Francois, the coveted defensive end from Miami Carol City, will choose USF or LSU. Jean-Francois told his high school coach, Walt Frazier, he'll make his decision Friday.

"I told him if he hasn't decided by then, I'll send these (letters of intent) back to the colleges," Frazier said.

That said, there's a chance he won't make it to either campus this fall. Jean-Francois has a "2.2 or 2.3" grade-point average and a 16 on the ACT, Frazier said, so he would need significant improvements this spring to meet NCAA requirements for initial eligibility. And though he's working to get himself eligible, he could wind up having to go to a junior college and transfer into a four-year program in two years.

After signing only two linebackers in their recruiting class, the Bulls are in the mix for former Riverview standout Tyrone McKenzie, who is transferring after one year at Michigan State.

McKenzie got a call Tuesday from USF coach Jim Leavitt, who is competing with Florida and Georgia for his services. McKenzie said he wants to be closer to his mother, who is still recovering from injuries from a car accident two years ago.

"We don't want to be in that same situation again, where I'm far away from her," said McKenzie, who plans to apply for a hardship waiver that will allow him to play this fall.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/09/Sports/AD_s_ex_school_now_ju.shtml

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

HS coach wants publicity... and wants schools to come to him when they want recruits... since he has so much influence over his kids.  Its all in his own interest, not RJF's, i bet.