• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Prized QB commits (again) to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

College football

Prized QB commits (again) to USF

The Hurricanes do not excite Carlton Hill enough to take back his oral commitment to the Bulls.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published January 25, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Carlton Hill has said a lot of things to a lot of people since committing to South Florida in August. What's important is what the coveted Panhandle quarterback told Miami coach Larry Coker on Monday: He's going to be a Bull after all.

"My mind is made up," said Hill, ranked as the No.14 quarterback in the nation by scout.com. "I'm going to stay committed to USF.

"When I visited Miami (this past weekend), I wasn't disappointed. But I just didn't feel it. My heart wasn't there."

Hill is USF's 14th commitment and, arguably, the biggest coup. The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder is fast enough to be ranked as an "athlete," someone recruited strictly for his athletic ability and who can play several positions, by some recruiting services.

He's coming to USF as a quarterback, however, and will be one of four on scholarship competing for the starting job this fall.

"(USF) was where he felt most comfortable, and that's just a personal preference," said Jeff Schaum, Hill's coach at Jefferson County High in Monticello, a town of about 4,000 just east of Tallahassee.

"It all comes down to what feels right to you. It's why some people drive Fords and some people drive Chevys."

Since committing to USF in August, he has visited Purdue and North Carolina State, and he was scheduled to visit Mississippi this weekend until he canceled Monday.

The biggest threat to USF always was the Hurricanes, and at one point, he told a recruiting site he was 90 percent sure he was going to Miami.

Even after he was reported as a renewed USF commitment last week, he said he was considering the Hurricanes too strongly to call himself pledged to the Bulls.

Now he said he's done wavering and will stick with his original commitment even though he expects schools to call until signing day Feb.2.

"Miami has the reputation of being Miami," Schaum said. "But (Bulls assistant) Wally Burnham and those guys did a good job recruiting him, showing him what they have going for them in the Big East."

Hill passed for 1,764 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior and rushed for 888 yards and another 12 scores. He's the second first-team all-state quarterback to commit to USF. He earned Class A honors, Lakeland Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe 4A.

How quickly Hill can compete for the starting job will be determined this fall. The Bulls will have junior Pat Julmiste, who started all but one game in last fall's 4-7 season, and sophomore Courtney Denson, who redshirted last season after transferring from Auburn.

Burnham and coach Jim Leavitt are expected to make an in-home visit to Hill on Thursday, another step to assure their biggest commitment stays committed.

"I'm happy for him," Schaum said.

"He and his parents just had more of a comfortable feeling with the players and the coaches at USF, and that's not going to change."

[Last modified January 25, 2005, 01:20:40]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/25/Sports/Prized_QB_commits_aga.shtml

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

WOO HOO every day is a holiday, he just keeps on committing to us... it seems like we have a dozen 4 stars now, but its just been Hill reaffirming over and over.  

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I hope he is at USF this weekend to tell prospective recruits that he said "NO" to Miami and that he's a solid USF commit. His presence might tip the scale in our favor with some of them.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Between Hill, Grothe, Denson and even Julmiste our QB play should be much improved from last year.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Between Hill, Grothe, Denson and even Julmiste our QB play should be much improved from last year.

Hmmm.. you think??  ;D

NAM37

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

only one can play at a time

i would be flabergasted if pj gets one snap at qb

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

only one can play at a time

True, but the competition should make them all better.