• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Callahan Cleans House

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Callahan cleans house at Nebraska

By ERIC OLSON, Associated Press Writer

January 13, 2004

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- New Nebraska coach Bill Callahan took firm control by firing seven assistants, including Bo Pelini, who led the Cornhuskers to victory in the Alamo Bowl as the interim coach.

Callahan, hired Dec. 31 to replace the fired Frank Solich, met with Nebraska's assistants Monday to deliver the news.

All that remains of Solich's staff is receivers coach Turner Gill, a former Nebraska quarterback, and recruiting coordinator Scott Downing, who will stay at least through national signing day Feb. 4.

``It was a tough couple weeks on my family, and really on all the coaches' families,'' Pelini said Tuesday. ``You want to bring closure to it. It was a great time here. I enjoyed my year here, and now it's time to move on and turn the page and go onto the next point in my life.''

Pelini will interview Thursday at Oklahoma for a position on Bob Stoops' staff.

Callahan was not immediately available for comment.

Beside Pelini, Solich's defensive coordinator during the regular season, Callahan also fired offensive coordinator Barney Cotton, and assistants Marvin Sanders (defensive backs), Jimmy Williams (linebackers), Tim Albin (running backs), Ron Brown (receivers) and Jeff Jamrog (defensive line).

Brown has been a Nebraska assistant for 17 years. Cotton, Jamrog, Sanders and Williams all played at Nebraska.

Pelini and Gill were among several candidates to replace Solich. Sanders said he has an offer to become North Carolina's defensive coordinator.

Cotton was well aware his days were numbered.

``I had been preparing myself for this eventuality ever since whatever that date was at the end of November,'' Cotton said, referring to the day Solich was fired on Nov. 29. ``I maybe held out a ray of hope that something may work out.

All except Pelini have contracts that run through June 30, 2005. Pelini's runs through Jan. 31, 2006.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he had to do it

but he won't do any better there than he did in oakland this year