• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

hey usf wins

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Bulls Survive Opener

By GREGG BECNEL Tribune correspondent

Published: Nov 21, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida guard James Holmes made a free throw with 3.8 seconds remaining to lift the Bulls to a 76-75 season-opening win against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday at the Sun Dome.

USF, which lost its final six games last season, won for the first time since beating Southern Miss on Feb. 13.

``This was a tough one,'' forward Terrence Leather said. ``But we found a way to close it out.''

After leading by as many as eight (69-61) with six minutes to play, the Bulls were unable to put the Lumberjacks away.

SFA forward Rodrigo Segantim hit two free throws with 37 seconds to tie it at 75.

After a timeout, Leather missed a jumper, but Holmes was fouled going for the rebound, bringing the sparse crowd of 2,117 to its feet.

Holmes calmly made the first free throw, but missed the second. Anthony Paez's half- court desperation shot at the buzzer was off the mark.

``We just made enough plays at the end to win the game,'' USF coach Robert McCullum said. ``It's early in the year and we've got a long way to go.''

Brian Swift had 19 points, including 5-for-5 from 3-point range, and four assists, while Brandon Brigman finished with a team-high eight rebounds. Marlyn Bryant had 11 points and three steals.

``Stephen F. Austin's defense forced us to start our offense farther out than we wanted,'' McCullum said. ``But we were able to offset that with the play of Brian. [His 3-point shooting] was a big difference. Marlyn's energy defensively was also a big plus.''

USF had a great night shooting the ball, hitting 23 of 45 (51.1 percent) from the floor, eight of 11 from 3-point range (72.7) and 22 of 28 from the free-throw line (78.6).

Despite the Bulls' hot shooting, the game still came down to the final seconds.

``We just have to get tougher as a team - physically and mentally,'' Swift said. ``We have to be able to improvise when things don't go our way. But mentally, we're not ready to do that, yet.''

Leather, who led USF with 20 points, didn't start because of a ``coach's decision,'' McCullum said. Leather sat on the bench for the game's first five minutes. He finished with seven rebounds.

SFA guard Marcus Clark had a game-high 25, including 10- for-10 from the free-throw line. As a team, the Lumberjacks were perfect on all 20 free-throw attempts

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

To me, I am very upset about the narrow win. I dont know about you but I am starting to understand why USF wont get to the NCAA's this season. Not getting into the post season will be an embarassment.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

Embarassment?  With this team?  If we made the NIT this year, I'd not only be completely shocked, I'd be estatic!  This is a team in transition who's veterans aren't built for this system and with some very young players who are going to be good but need time.  If I'm saying the same thing in three years, we might have a problem.  But for now just enjoy the basketball, and realize this team's best days are at earliest next season, but more likely 06-07.  I know waiting sucks, but we're building a program the right way, and that simply takes time

bb2000-this team has no chance for the post season but w ecan still have a great season

we are building a program

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

Opps. I didnt mean to say the NCAAs. I meant to say not getting into the C-USA tourny would be a big embarrassment IMO because we would have missed two years in a row. USF needs to qualify for that C-USA tourny this season.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

To me, I am very upset about the narrow win. I dont know about you but I am starting to understand why USF wont get to the NCAA's this season. Not getting into the post season will be an embarassment.

WOW, where have you been last year and the off season? ncaa,LMAO?

BTW are you serious?

ahhhhh

makes sense