• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wanna be like Kansas state & Texas Tech?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Topeka Capital-Journal, The (KS)

June 13, 2006

[highlight]Kansas State basketball coach Bob Huggins will be guaranteed $800,000 for the first three years of his five-year contract, $900,000 in his fourth year and at least $1 million for the final year.[/highlight]

Huggins also will be paid a $1 million annuity if he completes the deal and receive $125,000 annually from a department-wide shoe and apparel sponsorship that is expected to be announced soon.

According to the contract, which was released to various media outlets Monday, Huggins can earn annual bonuses up to but not exceeding $250,000. His incentives include $25,000 for conference regular-season and tournament championships, $100,000 for a national championship, $50,000 for being named national coach of the year by the Associated Press or NABC and $25,000 for selling out every home game.

Many of those incentives are similar to those detailed in first-year football coach Ron Prince's contract. Prince, who is guaranteed $750,000, can receive as much as $250,000 in bonus money. His deal provides an additional $37,500 each for reaching the Big 12 championship, winning the conference title and qualifying for a bowl game, as well as $75,000 for making a BCS bowl appearance and $150,000 for reaching the BCS national championship.

Huggins and Prince also have similar fringe benefits, including access to two courtesy cars, full membership at Manhattan Country Club and golfing privileges at Colbert Hills.

Huggins, 52, signed his contract last week, more than two months after he was introduced as the Wildcats' 21st men's basketball coach. His base salary of $180,000 is the same as former coach Jim Wooldridge, but Wooldridge was guaranteed only $655,000.

Under terms of the contract, Huggins may be fired if he is convicted of a criminal offense involving fraud, commits an act that causes material injury to the university's reputation or violates Big 12, NCAA or university rules.

If Huggins were to opt out of the contract, K-State would be owed $100,000. That buyout amount is considered miniscule for a coach of Huggins' stature.

Huggins has a 24-year record of 567-199, which ranks eighth among active Divison I coaches.

---------------------------

Lubbock Avalanche-Journal (TX)

October 20, 2006

Author: JEFF WALKER; AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

OKLAHOMA CITY - Some people have felt that with Bob Knight approaching Dean Smith's record for all-time wins, Texas Tech's head basketball coach might be nearing retirement.

During Thursday's Big 12 Media Day, Knight said he hasn't thought about getting out of coaching and that he has agreed in principle to a three-year contract extension that will carry his current deal through the 2011-12 season. His contract will be fulfilled in May 2012.

"I signed a three-year contract extension that will take (the current contract) to five years," Knight said. "I may coach another 10 years, I don't know."

Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said the deal is still in the process of being finalized. He expected Knight to give him the signed contract on Thursday when Knight returned from Oklahoma City."Bob and I talked and agreed to terms, but we're still in the process of getting it done," Myers said. "I've got to recommend it to the president (Jon Whitmore) and then the (Board of Regents) will have to approve it. It's not completed, but we'll get it done."

Myers said the regents are expected to meet on either Oct. 26 or Oct. 27 and could have Knight's contract extension on the agenda, assuming the contract receives the approval from Whitmore.

Knight is entering his 41st season of coaching, his sixth at Tech. With 869 career wins, he is just 11 victories shy of surpassing Smith.

When asked to predict how long he might continue coaching, Knight said he doesn't think about it because he never thought he'd be coaching this long.

"When I was 37, I was asked how long I planned on coaching and I said I honestly don't think I'll make it past 40," Knight said. "I guess I'll just continue to do it as long as I like it or until I find something else to do. Who knows? I don't have any idea."

Knight is expected to at least coach through next season. The Red Raiders are scheduled to compete in the Great Alaska Shootout for the 2007-08 season at Knight's request.

[highlight]Myers was asked if Knight's extension included a raise and he said, "All our (head basketball) coaches have a base salary of $300,000. Bob will make over a million dollars with his incentives and everything else."[/highlight]

Knight previously agreed to a contract extension in May 2004 that added three years to his contract, which was supposed to run until May 2009.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

How many head basketball coaches do they have in Texas?  I guess one men's one women's?

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Under terms of the contract, Huggins may be fired if he is convicted of a criminal offense involving fraud, commits an act that causes material injury to the university's reputation or violates Big 12, NCAA or university rules.

I wonder if all coaches have this specifically put in their contracts or just huggins due to his shaky reputation.  

To answer your question, Yes I want us to be like KSU and TTU.  TTU is a lock for the tournament and KSU will most likely be in.  Thats all a fan can ask for,  get us into the NCAA tournament and then anything can happen.  

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Does Texas have a law against paying public employees more than $300K? I mean, obviously the football coaches at the public universities (of which Texas Tech is one) make a lot more. I'll have to look into that.