• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Big East will do Fine!...(MODIFIED)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

http://dailymail.com/news/Mickey+Furfari-20040525/Mickey Furfari

May 25 2004

New-look Big East will do fine

Mickey Furfari

For the Daily Mail

MORGANTOWN -- There's no doubt that the Big East football league won't be as strong following the loss of Miami (Fla.) and Virginia Tech.

And in 2005 Boston College will join those two perennial powers in the Atlantic Coast Conference, giving that league 12 members and a championship playoff game.

The ACC already is benefiting financially from the expansion. It recently signed a new, seven-year football television contract with ABC and ESPN worth a reported $258 million.

While the Big East has lined up replacements, a growing number of people don't think it will ever regain stature among the nation's elite.

Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia University's fourth-year head coach, concedes that it will be difficult to replace Miami, a Top 5 program, from a standpoint of prestige.

"But the other teams that finished near the top in the Big East are coming back," he said recently. "Virginia Tech obviously has been pretty good. But in our league, the Hokies have been closer to the middle the past few years."

Rodriguez predicted that people will be surprised how good Cincinnati, Louisville and South Florida are when they join the Big East fold in 2005.

He believes Connecticut, which makes its Big East football debut this fall, will prove to be an outstanding addition.

"The Huskies were very good last year (9-3)," Rodriguez recalled. "From what I've seen on film, I think they can be in the (championship) hunt this year.

"They scheduled right and they are just about where they projected to be. They've put a lot of money into the program.

"You can see what they've done in basketball (winning both the men's and women's NCAA titles this year). Obviously, when they commit to their programs, they do it the right way.

"And I think that's what they're doing with their football program."

Rodriguez readily admits that the Big East may not have the prestige nationally now because of the departure of Miami and Virginia Tech.

"But in four or five years, I think we'll be back the way the Big East used to be looked at," Rodriguez said.

He remembers when the league had to re-establish itself nationally during "down times" in the past.

"I'm pretty confident we'll be back up there," the Mountaineer mentor said. "But we have to have some success in non-conference games because that's a key.

"Meantime, I do think we'll beat up on each other, like we have been the last four or five years."

Incidentally, Rodriguez chuckles a bit when he hears someone say, "Now you have a chance to compete in the league."

He's very proud of the fact WVU tied Miami for the championship last season and was runner-up in 2002. The Mountaineers had a combined 12-2 league log.

"I thought we competed pretty good and with both Miami and Virginia Tech still in the league," Rodriguez said.

"But we've got to play like that every year.

"We're looking forward to defending the Big East championship. I think we'll continue to take steps each year."

-30-

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

Would  cygnus please post the article...........

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the league will do just fine

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

thanks for posting the article