• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Speedy Selvie lifts USF's defense

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Published - December, 22, 2006

masthead.gif

Speedy Selvie lifts USF's defense

Bill Vilona

bvilona@pnj.com

George Selvie's heart sank on that day last December that he was asked to make football's version of a career change.

Play defense? Him?

This guy was built like a burly receiver, but disguised as a center and tight end most of his prep career at Pine Forest.

And now, all of a sudden, the coaches wanted him to transform into a defensive end at the University of South Florida. A major-college defensive end.

"I was like, 'Oh no ... no.' I mean, I had played offensive line my whole life," Selvie said, laughing, recalling the moment as USF prepared for Saturday's PapaJohns Bowl against East Carolina at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala.

"I wanted to be on the (offensive) line. Block for the running backs, score touchdowns, all that stuff. Be on the team that scored touchdowns, not stop them. It was hard."

But he has made it look easy.

Utilizing his speed and instinct to overcome his lack of bulk, the 6-foot-4 Selvie has made a believer out of himself. The redshirt freshman led all South Florida interior lineman this season with 76 tackles, fourth highest overall. He had a team-high 12 tackles for loss with 5.5 sacks.

"I expected to be a backup this year, because they had some experienced players over me," said Selvie, a News Journal Super Senior in 2004. "I didn't think I'd have this much impact.

"But (the Bulls' coaches) gave me a chance and I just ran with it."

And Selvie can run. He uses quickness to elude blockers and his running speed to chase down ball-carries.

"At first, we were just hoping he could hold his own," USF defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said. "We didn't know he was going to have the impact he's made on our defense.

"But the old saying applies to George: Playmakers make plays, and he's got that kind of game.''

His biggest game came during the Bulls' biggest win. Selvie recovered two fumbles, one for a touchdown, in South Florida's 24-19 victory against then-No. 7 West Virginia.

That win further elevated USF's program. It also put Selvie into a national spotlight.

It led to him being named second-team freshman All-American by The Sporting News. He's the highest-rated freshman All-American in school history.

And to think Selvie was an offensive lineman in his first life,

"I just wanted to do anything to help my team," said Selvie, honored after the West Virginia game as the Walter Camp Football Foundation defensive player of the week. "I don't have a lot of weight, so I just try and come off the ball hard. Speed kills, you know."

Most teams prefer a defensive end to weigh at least 240 pounds. On a good day, provided he hasn't lost weight in practice, Selvie might tip the scale at 230.

Work ethic, demeanor and his strong family background were among the attributes South Florida coaches saw in Selvie during recruiting.

His father, George Sr., retired in Pensacola after 20 years with the U.S. Navy.

The nomadic military life may have benefited Selvie in making a quick transition at USF.

Though Selvie also took visits to LSU and Florida, only USF offered Selvie a scholarship among Division I-A schools.

"They believed in me and thought I could do it," Selvie said. "They put me on the right side of the ball and it's worked out."

If the Bulls can defeat East Carolina in Saturday's bowl game, they will match the record for most wins in school history.

"We're real excited about this bowl game," Selvie said. "We have a chance to make some history."

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061222/SPORTS/612220349/1002

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Thanks for posting that.

George has been an EXTREMELY nice surprise this early in his career.

Let's get that guy in the weight room and on a high-protein diet and get him up to 245 or so!  He'll be a tremendous force with added weight & strength.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

George is my favorite player because he used my locker  8-)

Expecting him to continue to get better. He has been an extremely big suprise.