• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why do we not....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

I think the reason is that the lyrics to our alma mater are so byzantine they aren't fun to sing.  It probably has something to do with the fact that the people who wrote it were pretty hammered at the time.  From usf.edu:

According to Margaret Fisher, former dean of women in the 1960s:

Wayne Hugoboom, a professor of music, composed the alma mater in 1960, ostensibly for the opening convocation (in Sept. 1960), but it was not used until 1961.

Hugoboom's entry was declared winner of a USF song competition for a school song on Dec. 4, 1961 and he received a check for $250 (which was deemed enough to buy a new power mower for his Carrollwood home).

Margaret Fisher, an early USF employee and dean of women in the 1960s, said legend has it that the alma mater was created at a party after some faculty were "well fed and well oiled," but Hugoboom is credited with coming up with it.

Fisher said, "Of course you have to be excited and a little lubricated to sing the alma mater."

Hail to Thee, our Alma Mater

May thy name be told,

Where above thy gleaming splendor,

Waves the green and gold.

Thou our guide in quest for knowledge.

Where we all are free

University of South Florida,

Alma Mater, Hail to thee!

Be our guide in truth and wisdom

As we onward go,

May thy glory, fame and honor

Never cease to grow;

May our thoughts and prayers

be with thee through eternity,

University of South Florida,

Alma Mater, Hail to thee!

I say we have a contest to update at least the lyrics, if not the whole song.  I'm all about tradition and keeping things... but this is one where I break and say let's start over.  The new HOT could do a FABULOUS job with this project.  

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Fisher said, "Of course you have to be excited and a little lubricated to sing the alma mater."  

well there you have it.

In all seriousness though, I think the lyrics are written in the same antiquated spirit of alma maters several times its age. Huzzah! However, I don't think you need anything more than love for your University to at least stick around and muddle through the words.

well there you have it.

In all seriousness though, I think the lyrics are written in the same antiquated spirit of alma maters several times its age. Huzzah! However, I don't think you need anything more than love for your University to at least stick around and muddle through the words.

I sing it every time it's played -- and get some funny looks for doing it... mostly because the I actually know the words.  (Hello? Scoreboard operator?)  Although the band only plays the first verse.

I must say that I have NEVER heard the band play it after football games.  Oh, I know they DO play the song, but all I hear when I am leaving the stadium is that dumb chick-fil-a song with the dancing cartoon cow.  At what point after the game ends does the band play it after football games?

Finally, I think most USF students and alumni don't really understand what the alma mater really means to colleges.  My first college football game was a Michigan State - Notre Dame game in the 1980s.  Watching 60,000 people sing the MSU alma mater before the game was inspiring.  (So was watching 60,000 people SING THE WORDS to the MSU fight song, but that's another thread.)  This is why I think LDB is correct, the words are appropriate for an alma mater -- this isn't a 50-cent or Hoobastank song, after all.  No need to change anything about it -- except to get everyone to sing it.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

It's about tradition, not being hip or cool.

The HOT plays it far too long after the game ends. Most people have left already, except for us few who know its coming. I also get strange looks for singing the Alma Mater before and after the game.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Well put, Jim. Why do we sing the Star-Spangled Banner or recite the Pledge of Allegiance? why do we open meetings with the creed of our fraternity or sorority? It's to remind ourselves what these entities mean to us. These aren't haphazardly chosen words. Think about what you're saying as you sing them.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Unfortunately, there are very few people that know the alma mater...

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

It's about tradition, not being hip or cool.

The HOT plays it far too long after the game ends. Most people have left already, except for us few who know its coming. I also get strange looks for singing the Alma Mater before and after the game.

It's about someone else's tradition.  Not everyone plays their alma-mater after games.

USF, being so new, is in a very unique position.  They should use that as an advantage.  Instead of just cherry-picking other schools worn-out and overdone "traditions", they should start new ones.  Go forward and do things that other schools don't do, and be proud that they don't do them; yet.

USF will never have anything on the Texas's and Ohio State's if they just adopt their exact same "traditions" 150 years after they've started them.  I really think the way for USF to go is foward, not back.  We're never going to have the history that they have.  In 100 years, they'll still be doing things 150 years longer than we have.

That's just my two cents; stay away from copying other schools, that's what they want.