• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anthony Henry's number to be retired.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

Naples Daily News

Football: Estero High to retire Henry's number

By DANA OPPEDISANO, doppedisano@naplesnews.com

May 7, 2004

Joe Hampton, documentary filmmaker?

The Estero High boys track coach  who resigned as football coach after 12 seasons in 2000  jokingly referred to himself as a "consultant" on the eight-and-a- half minute video montage that will accompany the jersey retiring of Cleveland Browns' defensive back Anthony Henry at his alma mater Saturday.

"I had to cut it," Hampton said with a laugh. "The first time I went through, I had six or seven minutes from just high school. His whole highlight tape was 30 minutes!"

Henry, who had 56 tackles and an interception in his third season with the Browns in 2003, will present an outstanding male and female athlete award at the school's "Spring Fling Sports Celebration" Saturday night, before his No. 3 is honored in Hampton's anticipated filmmaking debut.

"I feel like it's a great honor to have a recognition like this," said Henry, who tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions and finished second for AFC Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2001. "It's most important for all the kids that were involved, for my family, Coach Hampton and all the kids I went to school with."

Hampton recalled Henry's work ethic at Estero High, where he starred from 1992-95 as a quarterback, safety and the team's punter, winning District Player of the Year honors for his senior season in 1995. He also set school records in both the high jump (6 feet, 6 inches) and triple jump (44 feet, 1 inch), and was named MVP of the basketball team.

"He was always very dependable, you could count on him, and he was his own person," Hampton said. "Everybody liked him because he was just himself, he was everybody's friend, and it's been the same way when he went on to college, and now as a professional. He's always left a legacy of just being a nice young man."

His former coach  now a close friend  said that he was proud of what Henry's accomplished since leaving Estero High, and that Saturday's recognition is well deserved.

"He's just like a son," said Hampton. "When you see your son succeed and do the right things, it just makes you proud, like any father would be. I think it's the ultimate, when kids look at that (jersey and say), 'How do I get my jersey retired?' Well, he's the measuring stick right there."

Said Henry: "I never really imagined this. I think the most important thing, it kind of shows (kids) what they can do with hard work and patience."

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

great honor

hope it inspires more at his HS to become bulls

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

good for him

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Estero High?  Any of you ever been to Estero?  That place is a dump, about halfway between Ft. Myers and Naples.  The city's claim to fame is that it fired its entire fire department at one point, and outsourced it to freaking Wackenhut!  There was some sort of kickback going on, and the state ended up stepping in.  Happened about 10 years ago.

Anthony Henry is one of the few bright spots down there!