• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

keep sticks to yourself

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i would ban player for a minimum one year

Cleveland Barons defenseman Garrett Stafford was taken to a hospital after being struck in the head with a stick by Hamilton Bulldogs forward Alexander Perezhogin on Friday night during an AHL playoff game.

Stafford was on his knees when he was struck and he fell to the ice, blood gushing from a gash on his face. He was attended to by a doctor and trainers and then was taken to Hamilton General Hospital. Reports had him losing teeth, breaking a bone in his face and possibly sustaining a concussion.

"He's awake, alert and stable," Heather Pullen, spokeswoman for Hamilton Health Sciences, told the Hamilton Spectator.

Pullen was unable to comment on whether Stafford would remain in the hospital overnight or about the extent of his injuries. There was no word Friday night whether any criminal charges will be brought.

Stafford was injured in the first period and Cleveland went on to a 4-1 victory that brought them within 3-2 in the series. The best-of-seven series resumes Sunday in Cleveland.

"I've been doing hockey my whole life and I've never seen anything like it," Barons coach Roy Sommer said.

Sommer said he hopes Perezhogin is punished to the full extent possible.

"I don't think this guy should ever play again in North America," he said. "That's a travesty. I saw it on tape ... and it's even worse on tape."

Bulldogs coach Doug Jarvis said his team's thoughts are with Stafford.

"My only thoughts right now is that Garrett Stafford is all right," he said. "That's what we're all hoping for at this time."

In March, Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi was suspended for the rest of the NHL regular season and the playoffs for attacking Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore from behind.

Vancouver police have finished their investigation in that case and a decision on charges is pending.