• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

That tiger is pretty good...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Tiger vs. Vijay (by the numbers)by: Jason Sobel

posted: Monday, March 6, 2006

That Tiger Woods fella is pretty good.

There's really no other way to say it, but I ran across some stats and facts from ESPN's crack research team this morning that help support my undebatable thesis.

When Woods won last year's Ford Championship at Doral, he passed Vijay Singh -- once and for all -- on the Official World Golf Ranking, regaining the top spot he had inhabited for some five years before losing it after the 2004 Deutsche Bank Championship. (Wow, seems like more than a year ago that Vijay held the No. 1 ranking, doesn't it?) On the Monday after Doral, Tiger led Vijay by 0.48 points in the World Ranking.

Now, I realize that the computations and configurations for golf's ranking are more convoluted than quarterback ratings or the BCS standings in football. But sometimes numbers can speak volumes and these certainly do: Entering this past weekend, Woods' lead was 7.96 points over No. 2 man Singh. To give an idea of how disparate that difference is, the players who were 7.96 points behind Singh are Corey Pavin and John Huston, ranked Nos. 154 and 155 in the world, respectively (both had 0.98 points).

And now? With his second straight win at Doral, Tiger has opened up a 9.15-point lead over Vijay (18.14 points to 8.99). That point differential comparison between Singh (who finished a respectable T-15 at Doral) and another player? It doesn't exist anymore. In fact, you, me and even people who have never picked up a golf club before (we're all tied at 0.00 points, in case you're keeping score at home) are closer to Vijay in the World Ranking than he is to Tiger.

Just in case you needed further comparison between Woods and his closest competitor in the rankings, check out these numbers from the past 365 days:

• Woods: 24 worldwide events; nine wins; five runner-up finishes; 16 top-fives.

• Singh: 33 worldwide events; three wins; three runner-up finishes; 12 top-fives.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he has no integrity

stands for nothing

he plays golf in places where blacks and woman werent allowed to plAY

HE crossed picket line

a real life uncle tom

LOL... what a crock of chit...

so he shouldn't have tried to make millions playing the game he loves?  he should have said no to that and just played at places wher ehe never would have gotten to be the dominate athlete he is now?  LOL... you never cease to amaze me.

he should make a difference

he chose to do nothing

he should  have one percent integrity

he has none

???   LOL  you are funny... do you think Bonds does have integrity?  how can you talk out both sides of your mouth... Tiger does nothing wrong, is totally clean, no scandal... and you bash him.  Bonds is a f'n ***** cheater with zero integrity... and you defend him...

wait... i guess that what lawyers do.  Anyone that doesn't stir the pot isn't worth your time.  Anyone that does, could potentially make you some money some day... and that makes EVERYTHING ok.

you dont understand my point

comparing bonds and wood situations and my position with respect to both indicates you cant be objective

i never said tiger was dirty or committed a crime,his sin is far worse

he can help people less fortunate and chose to make a dollar instead