• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pep Rally - Judy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

I thought it was GREAT except for one thing.

I was dissapointed...actually pretty ticked off that our school president when speaking about our great university felt the need to mention we are the #1 transfer school in the nation....WTF!

At the pre-game tailgate at PSU sh mentioned our great research and gave an inspiring speech. Now when even more people are in attndance she entions we are the #1 place for students who screw up elsewhere!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  29

I don't look at it that people come here because they screwed up...I look at it that people come here because they realize that USF is a better opportunity and better school for them.

sorry, but our university has many more things to be proud of than being the #1 transfer university in the nation.

IMHO when only speaking for a few moments this isn't a highlight that needs to be mentioned.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

So, she should be selective when mentioning the positives of the university for what reason?

I don't see how being the #1 transfer university is a positive.

If you only have a brief time to highlight the university then yes one should be selective in what they mention.

I don't see how being the #1 transfer university is a positive.

Then you have a very narrow understanding of the education process, the value of education, and the reality of education.  Not trying to flame you, but you are allowing your personal opinions on transfer students to interfere with a positive.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

being #1 transfer is certainly a positive--it means that when people choose to switch universities, it's to USF they choose to come. This means either that they screwed up or didn't fit elsewhere, but just as likely it means that our standards are high enough that people start elsewhere to get credits and GPA up and transfer in. It runs in direct opposition to the thought that we're a second choice university--on the contrary, it's more of a "final answer".

please enlighten me and explain why we should brag about being the #1 transfer university in the nation?

I have never heard anyone brag about being a great transfer university. Sure as a state university we will always have a large number of transfer students especially from community colleges. However, I never hear the schools I consider top state universities (UCLA, Michigan, Illinois, Berkeley, Virginia, etc.) brag about transfer students.  

Not all transfer students are undeserving but the couple from USF standing in front of me at the rally snickered and said "great we are the #1 destination for people who flunk out elsewhere"...he flunked out of FSU...not sure where she flunked out of....

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

I think the main reason it's a point of pride is because it's got the "#1" attached to it. we can be in the top 5, top 10, top 20, top 50 of other things, but number one is number one. And as I started above, transferring is not necessarily a bad thing.

Simply put, it shows that we have become a major destination.  You don't like transfer students, that's your opinion to have.  However, reality is that you need to accept USF for what it is - a METROPOLITAN university.  Yes, some transfer students may be flunkies.  However, not all transfer students are, and to believe so is somewhat narrow minded.