• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida: The next 'Canes dynasty? - blog

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.fanblogs.com/south_florida/005807.php

Wow - you beat Central Florida and the whole world falls in love with you. OK, so it didn't hurt that the South Florida football team upset BCS-contender Louisville, either. Actually, it's the Louisville upset that has fans in Tampa thinking back to another upstart team's upset: the 1979 Miami Hurricanes upset of nationally ranked Penn State.

The week after beating Penn State, Howard Schnellenberger's 'Canes went into top ranked Alabama and lost. This week, South Florida plays against highly ranked...Miami.

So, does USF have the resources to join Miami, Florida and Florida State?

"I think there's a chance for that to happen," said Bruce Feldman, author of 'Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment.' "Miami then and USF now, you go back 25 years and Florida State wasn't what Florida State is now and Florida wasn't that good.

"Miami was in pretty uncharted territory, but now it's a crowded turf; and if you get anything from UCF, FAU or FIU. . .

"Even if Bobby Bowden retires, everything is in place. Florida, with Urban Meyer, never will slow down and Miami still will get players. But USF has done a great job with facilities and it's in a pretty big media market in Tampa."

So, can USF be Miami-like? Having spent a lot of time in Tampa, I think it's possible. USF is already thought of as the #4 school in the state for football (especially now), and the Louisville win combined with playing in a BCS conference really sets the stage for them to keep some recruits that they would have lost to the Conference USA schools of the southeast. In years past, they've not only lost the "A" players to FSU, UF, the SEC biggies, and Miami, but had to battle Central Florida, UAB, Southern Miss, and Tulane for some of the "B" players. By upping their profile, USF can at least defend their recruits from the ankle-biters.

If the Bulls can build a little recruiting base, then USF can elevate itself from a mid-major level team to a top 25 program.

So, can they? Yes. In the meantime, the Bulls are still doing very un-BCS things: like a five-hour bus ride to Miami.

Will they? Stay tuned - anything but an absolute thrashing at Miami would be big for South Florida. And a win...well, a win would mean a top 25 ranking and **** near blow the roof off this thing.

Posted by Kevin Donahue  

Comments & Trackbacks

UWDAWG says:

posted on September 30, 2005 09:22 AM  link

They're the Fresno State of Florida. They'll get some decent athletes simply because of the glut of them available in Florida..like California.., and may occasionally knock off a top caliber team, but with three Football schools firmly entrenched in the state, they'll remain at #4.

Robert Knodell says:

posted on September 30, 2005 09:30 AM  link

Kevin, doesn't USF have to fire Jim Leavitt before they can experience any sustained success? :-)

Jeremy Collins says:

posted on September 30, 2005 09:37 AM  link

There is enough talent to go around in Flordia. USF will contend for championships but not for at least 6-7 years.

Bryan says:

posted on September 30, 2005 11:04 AM  link

I think the key to USF's success is going to hinge on the Big East's ability to keep its status as a BCS member. If you can sell a kid on the fact that a BCS bowl is possible every season, you are that much more ahead of the game (and much further ahead of "BCS Buster" schools such as Fresno, Utah, and TCU).

A talented player may opt to go to USF and start and play in BCS games instead of ride a bench at FSU/FLOR/MIA and "struggle" to get to BCS games. By struggle, I mean it to say that the Big 3 schools have a tougher road to BCS rewards than USF in the weak Big East.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Nice article...  exactly what we've been saying to the cane fans... regarding their uprising... we are in the midst of our own.  

We might not win, (i think we will), but we are moving in the right direction.  A win would propel us forward... i loss wouldn't slow us down much.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  34

I agree, i think this game will speak Volumes, regardles!! ::)

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Bryan says:

posted on September 30, 2005 11:04 AM  link

I think the key to USF's success is going to hinge on the Big East's ability to keep its status as a BCS member. If you can sell a kid on the fact that a BCS bowl is possible every season, you are that much more ahead of the game (and much further ahead of "BCS Buster" schools such as Fresno, Utah, and TCU).

A talented player may opt to go to USF and start and play in BCS games instead of ride a bench at FSU/FLOR/MIA and "struggle" to get to BCS games. By struggle, I mean it to say that the Big 3 schools have a tougher road to BCS rewards than USF in the weak Big East.

ding! ding ! ding!

this is why we will get better faster than expected, also helping is JL willingness to take back top FL  players who are unhappy at top out of state  schools

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

old news

i saw the potential in usf in 1976