• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jackson Gets props in TIMES

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

College football

Transition game

Amarri Jackson found focus while playing basketball at Hillsborough CC, then found his niche as a USF receiver.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published September 28, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photo: Melissa Lyttle]

Amarri Jackson outdistances Louisville defenders on a 57-yard reception, setting up USF's first touchdown in Saturday's 45-14 upset win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So many times last winter, Amarri Jackson's basketball teammates would walk with him out of practice at Hillsborough Community College, look across the street, and joke with the 6-foot-5 small forward about his future.

"They'd always tell me, "That's you next year,"' said Jackson, remembering the view of Raymond James Stadium.

Jackson found a better vantage point Saturday. He took in RayJay from the north end zone, where the USF receiver rushed for two touchdowns and threw for another in a breakout game, sparking the Bulls' wild 45-14 upset of then-No.9 Louisville.

It's an amazing transition, excelling so quickly in football after two seasons of junior college basketball. But don't think Jackson hadn't played football in nearly three years before suiting up for the Bulls. Just ask HCC coach Derrick Worrels.

"In two years, I threw more passes to him with footballs than basketballs," said Worrels, once a multisport star at UNC-Asheville. "After practice, the gym would clear out and he'd run routes right there. He had his football with him, every day."

Jackson's path to college football is certainly one less taken, and it started at Sarasota Riverview, where Jackson was an option quarterback. Coach John Sprague said he always knew Jackson had the athleticism and attitude to be a good college receiver.

"He had a two-point conversion, against (Bradenton) Southeast, and he scrambled to one side, then the other. Must have run 40 yards for a 3-yard score," Sprague said. "He made everybody on that team and the cheerleaders miss him before he found the end zone."

So as Sprague watched USF Saturday night, he saw the old Amarri playing football again. Talking to him on the phone after the game, he was brought to tears.

"I'm so happy for him," Sprague said. "For him to have this, it's so, so well-deserved. A lot of people wrote him off, but I thank God he didn't."

Jackson's breakout game - a 57-yard catch to set up USF's first touchdown, then scores on reverses of 51 and 12 yards, plus the scoring pass - came after three games in which he totaled two catches for 15 yards.

Jackson didn't qualify academically out of Riverview, but USF coach Jim Leavitt liked him enough to promise him a scholarship if he attended junior college and got his associate of arts degree.

For most, that would mean finding a good football program, but instead Jackson sought a place to find the maturity he lacked in high school.

"I was at a point in life where I needed a little guidance," Jackson said. "Coach Worrels and I, we related to each other on a lot of stuff. Football wasn't good at the time, because it's a larger family, whereas basketball's about 14 guys, and you can get that focus and attention and guidance from the coach. That's all I needed."

Jackson was never a bad kid, Sprague said, but needed to learn composure. At Riverview, he'd get bumped in the hall between classes and would still be upset about it six hours later in practice.

"When he used to get upset, he'd go in the tank," Sprague said. "He'd let a lot of small stuff bother him. But there's no thug in him. He's a good kid, and it's because of a lot of adults who love him."

Worrels is one, and the two had a special bond because both were raised by their stepfathers. Another, naturally, is Mike Spradley, the only father Jackson has known.

"When I was born, it was just my mom, but my stepdad raised me as long as I can remember," said Jackson, who said he talks occasionally with his biological father. "(Spradley) could have easily turned his back. We're not his kids, but he married my mother, stayed with us all these years. He comes to the games and wears my jersey all the time. That means a lot to me."

Being close to home was a plus for USF in the recruiting process, but the Bulls got Jackson because of their loyalty. Even after he orally committed to USF, Jackson would look in the stands at HCC games and see half of USF's staff in the crowd.

"They made me feel at home," Jackson said. "Them coming to my game, it was special to me. They took time off, when they could have been studying for football, doing anything for their team, and here they are watching me play basketball. It won me over."

In two months on campus, Jackson has earned a reputation as the nicest player on the team. He's all smiles and handshakes, greeting strangers as he walks off the practice field. So it's no surprise his nickname at HCC was "The Governor."

"His glass is always half-full, and that's why he's where he is now," Sprague said. "He's a talented athlete, but kids who have had the same breaks as Amarri but are negative about things wouldn't make it. He's the epitome of great attitude and great character."

[Last modified September 28, 2005, 02:30:38]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/28/Sports/Transition_game.shtml

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey. thanks for the link, even two days after the fact. we were able to get a cool basketball shot of amarri from his HCC days in the paper, and while it wasn't posted online with the story, i uploaded it today to my blog. (shameless plug) ...

www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf

greg

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

TP_223972_HO_AMARRI_2-708338.JPG

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

ah. the dreaded cut-and-paste. at least i got like 0.2 seconds of cross-traffic. that velcro's a quick draw ...

greg

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

It still a good blog... i'm sure everyone will read it.  I won't copy and paste that. ;)

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  34
  • Days Won:  0

i began reading the blog about 2 weeks ago..i enjoy it, and its even better to know that you post on the forums

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

a great talent