• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt interview on Cold Pizza Monday?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

We'll have to tune in to find out I guess.

Victory Earns USF National Recognition

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Sep 26, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT

More From This Channel:

Search our archives: Type keyword(s)

Past 7 days most viewed | Tribune archive (from 1990)

TAMPA - Moments after the University of South Florida's 45-14 dismantling of No. 9 Louisville on Saturday night, the Bulls raced toward the north end zone student section to celebrate.

USF coach Jim Leavitt was still soaked from his postgame ice-water drenching, quarterback Pat Julmiste flashed a smile almost as wide as the margin of victory, and linebacker Stephen Nicholas just kept screaming "Wooo!"

Perhaps the most indelible moment, though, came in the locker room from co-defensive coordinator Wally Burnham. The 63-year-old Burnham performed an enthusiastic victory dance, breaking out moves he hasn't showcased in decades.

"Wally is a very impressive dancer," Leavitt said.

The Bulls (3-1, 1-0) were just as impressive Saturday in their inaugural Big East contest.

USF's win earned a program-high seven votes in Sunday's Associated Press poll, good for 37th place. In 2002, USF received four votes in the AP poll after defeating Urban Meyer's Bowling Green club.

Leavitt's reaction to USF receiving votes for only the second time in school history? "No reaction," he said. "I'm focusing on Miami this Saturday. They may be the best team in the country."

Leavitt may be downplaying USF's domination of the Cardinals, but others had pretty strong reactions to the Bulls' first win in six tries against an AP ranked opponent.

Here is a sampling:

? Mel Kiper Jr., on ESPN radio: "If someone said 45-14, that's about what it's supposed to be. But if you said USF won, you'd be crazy. Louisville has talent and USF made Louisville look bad. This was a one-sided defeat ... at the end you saw South Florida down there thinking, are we going to get a touchdown to stuff it in their face? South Florida had a chance to run up the score and hang 52 on Louisville if they really wanted to."

? ESPN radio's Bob Valvano: "Utter domination."

? ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit: "USF was in fifth gear, Louisville in second gear the entire game."

Less than 24 hours after the upset, USF already had received interview requests from USA Today, SI.com, the New York Post, ESPN's "Cold Pizza," ESPN.com and CBS Sportsline.

Despite all the added attention, Leavitt said the Bulls won't have trouble putting the upset behind them with Saturday's visit to No. 9 Miami.

"If we were playing a Division I-AA team, I might be concerned about overlooking the game," Leavitt said. "One good thing about playing Miami is the team will be focused on this week. Playing the University of Miami in the Orange Bowl, I don't have to worry about our preparation. This is the best team we've faced in our life."

Even though the Bulls were outgained 493-355, USF offensive coordinator Rod Smith took the wraps off the offense, unleashing a multitude of new plays, including reverses to wide receiver Amarri Jackson and even an end-around pass by Jackson that resulted in an 11-yard touchdown to tight end Derek Carter.

Jackson finished with 149 total yards. Julmiste was only 4-for-9 for 93 yards, while USF attempted a school record-low 10 passes.

"We got a lot of young talent; this group is still young," Smith said. "The best football, hopefully, is ahead of us. This was supposed to be the big dog of the Big East, but we knew we had to do what we did.

"We have potential. This doesn't mean we've arrived by no means. This is great for right now, but we have Miami on Saturday."

Running back Andre Hall finished with 83 yards on 22 carries.

"This is the best feeling in my life," said Hall, holding up a USF fan's "In Hall We Trust" sign. "That's what they get for doubting us."

ODDS AND ENDS: Jackson received a "helmet sticker" Saturday night from ESPN's Rece Davis, signifying one of "College GameDay's" players of the game. However, ESPN didn't have a USF helmet in studio, so Davis stuck the decal on a generic gold helmet with no logo emblem. ... USF and UAB are tied for having allowed the fewest sacks with one each. ... USF received 14 points in the inaugural Harris Poll used as part of the BCS selection process.

"This is the best feeling in my life. That's what they get for doubting us."

RB ANDRE HALL

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBGV0962EE.html

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the oline allowing only one sack is a greeat stat

those boys aren't getting their due

let me know when leavitt will be doing leno