• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The transfers just keep on coming!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

<http://www.sptimes.com/News/graphics/toplinks/toplinks-email.gif> [Print story] [Reuse or republish] [subscribe to the Times]

College football

Speedy receiver gets scholarship at USF

By Times Staff Writers Times Wires

Published August 28, 2005

TAMPA - USF's fourth scholarship transfer this fall is its fastest.

Ryan Gilliam, who had 13 tackles as a redshirt freshman cornerback at Oregon last season, has accepted a scholarship to USF and said he was admitted Friday. He'll start his Bulls career as a receiver, a position he excelled at while at Tallahassee's Lincoln High School.

"Coach ( Jim) Leavitt gave me a great opportunity to come down here, play football and run track, to be in my home state," said Gilliam, who will run the 100 meters for USF's track team in spring. "I'll start at receiver, but they want to try me at both positions."

Gilliam committed to Florida State out of high school but signed with Oregon, where he matched the fastest 40-yard time ever by a Ducks defensive back (4.27 seconds). He initially planned to transfer from Oregon to Tulane, but changed his mind after finding out much of his credit hours couldn't transfer there.

Gilliam joins Indiana quarterback Grant Gregory, N.C. State defensive end Maurice Charles and LSU receiver Amp Hill as the Bulls' scholarship transfers. Charles and Hill are still waiting to be accepted.

FAMILIAR FACE: As a senior at Pasco High, receiver Johnny Peyton got a home visit from Penn State coach Joe Paterno and made an official visit to the Nittany Lions. With the Bulls opening the season at Penn State on Saturday, his cell phone has been ringing with calls from would-be teammates.

"I know a couple of them personally. They've been telling me a couple of them have a little hit out on me, but it's all fine and dandy," said Peyton, who befriended Lions quarterback Anthony Morelli when both were committed to Pittsburgh.

Peyton, who led USF with 469 receiving yards as a freshman last season, said his decision had less to do with Penn State and more to do with the weather during his official visit.

"I got off the airplane in like 8 feet of snow. Unh-unh," Peyton said.

- GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/08/28/Sports/Speedy_receiver_gets_.shtml