• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Watched the D-Rays/Orioles game last night

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

What the hell was up with Gathright in CF?  He sucked so bad it was painful to watch.  That routine fly that bounced over his head for a triple (and led to a run) was the reason they lost last night.

How can Naimoli watch this team that has a lot of the pieces in place and not spend the extra $$$ to shore up the holes?  He'd rather a rookie play CF and look like a retard?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

I know, I'm a diehard fan and I'm getting sick of this penny pinching guy.  Gathright is the 4th string CF though (Though, I think he's taken over 3rd string).  He is a horrible fielder, that's why he always gets sent down to the minors and they can't trade him.

All Namoli needed to this offseason was go out and get one more proven bat for the lineup and/or one proven ace.  Or at least get someone that can play defense in freaking center field until Rocco gets back!  It's ridiculous!  Once Namoli is out this team will compete!

I realize Gathright is inexperienced.  As if it was obvious enough.  The guy's got blazing speed, but he obviously has trouble fielding balls in the dome, so WHY THE HELL put him out there?  It makes absolutely no sense.

It's just another example of Vince's penny pinching costing the team.  If you have a CF with even ONE year of experience in there, he catches that ball, it doesn't turn into a triple, and you've got the game won.  How many wins have the DRays given away due to lack of experience?

Vince is a moron if he thinks people are going to go out and suppport a team like the Rays in their current state.  Is it THAT hard to find a guy with some experience?  Oh, wait, they all want more than the league minimum, so I guess we go with the Rookie.

Idiotic.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

The Rays spent big bucks back in the late 90's to get some hitters and some starting pitching, but ended up paying for a bunch of guys to be on the DL. Blame the union for insisting on guaranteed contracts, and blame the owners for not having enough spine to stand up to them.

I think the Rays would be a much different team today had things turned out differently and everyone stayed healthy and productive back then.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Gathright was 3 for 4 with 2 runs scored yet was pulled for ph in bottom of ninth. Sometimes managers befuddle me ......... Also, man on third, no outs, down by one in the ninth, you should be able to freaking at least tie the score.

The kid's batting .4-something, but he can't field for crap.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

The kid's batting .4-something, but he can't field for crap.

They need this guy beside him in right ...

kelly.jpg

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

He is out there because Baldelli is injured and Batista (back-up plan) retired during spring training.  So he was the 3rd string guy, but got thrown into the position because of the circumstances listed above.  

However he has been batting very well, and his speed around the bases can be a huge asset to the team.  When Rocco gets back Gathright will make a great utility player for the Rays.  

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509

He is out there because Baldelli is injured and Batista (back-up plan) retired during spring training.  So he was the 3rd string guy, but got thrown into the position because of the circumstances listed above.  

However he has been batting very well, and his speed around the bases can be a huge asset to the team.  When Rocco gets back Gathright will make a great utility player for the Rays.  

You're right he is there because Rocco is out, but he is the 4th string guy.  I believe the order went something like this:

1.  Rocco (injured)

2.  Sanchez (juiced up)

3.  Singleton (not good)

4.  Gathright (can't field)

You could even make the case he is 5th string:

1.  Rocco (injured)

2.  Crawford in center, Bautista in right (retired, Huff moves to right)

3.  Sanchez (juiced up), Crawford back to left

4.  Singleton (not good)

5.  Gathright (can't field)

But you are right, I would much rather see Singleton go instead of Gathright when Sanchez is back, and I am no fan of Gathright.

On the radio, all they're doing is blah blah blah about how Gathright is the second coming of Jesus.

HELLO?  Do you not see the errors he's making directly leading to Rays losses?  Sure he's batting .400+, but they're mostly singles.  Hardly the weapon the Rays need right now.

Send him down and let him work on his fielding more.