• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are USF fans being punished?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

Yikes.  That is harsh.

I just want to point out that none of these above are me.  I have been critical of some of the coverage in fall and spring, but I haven't (till now) posted here about Spring.  I figure I better post something before it is inferred to be me.

Personally, I'm not sure this program is at the point where any of it matters.  Do I (personally -- my opinion) think there are some aspects that can improve?  Yes.   I do think at this level of sport (basically can equate to minor league team vs. major based on support and level of play) there are opportunities.  I know the big bump will come from winning, but winning is rarely guaranteed (unless you are an SEC team playing an OOC opponent :-)).   In short, yes, ******** about the small stuff here seems petty, but in terms of the larger marketing plan it is a cog that the "connected fan" may feel is important.   These are the fans that help breed new fans.

Now of course there are plenty of other cogs like moving games, the tailgating experience, the off-field troubles of players, and so on.  Individually, maybe none of them matter, but collectively they add up different ways for different folks.  

I think long-term fans are fans because of the ownership and the knowledge and connection they build (and that means following their team -- whether it be Yankees, Red Wings, Mariners or whoever -- through all phases of the progression).  I've been to USF games with a lot of folks who can't name a player other than the quarterback.  They show up, but they don't even know what they are watching and it doesn't take much pressing to figure out they don't care.  

If USF goes to bowl games 10 consecutive years I think the connection will develop naturally, but it never hurts to continue grow support and relationships in the greenhouse in case the conditions aren't absolutely perfect out in the elements.

Is it OK to whine about not having consistent coverage for a Tampa team in Tampa?  Maybe.  I guess it depends on what a person wants out of the relationship.  If it is merely a place to kill time Saturday nights in the fall....probably not.  If it is a familiarity and connection with the team on a more granular level -- probably.  

I guess it is all driven by demand at this point.   It is pulled rather than pushed.  Maybe that is a good thing.   It seems to be a different model of building support, but they may indeed know what they are doing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest back on top

If the St. Pete times was writing bad things about your family, you wouldn't let them in your house either.  Practice is open to fans, so if you want info get off your lazy butt and go see preactice.  I was at UF practice about a week ago they had about 150 people out to watch practice not a scrimmage but a practice.  I have never seen 100 people out at a practice.  I don't trust what papers say anyways so i'll be at Practice.

Guest S.  Bien

This is crap, including the junk spewed by Freak because half of his stuff is off the cuff.  Ownership smonership, some of us already have ownership because we give to the team, and support the University.  

Listen, there was close to fifty people at practice Tuesday, not including the visiting recruits, and school reps.  I saw a family friend that just endowed a scholarship for the team, and actually re-structured his will to give 50% to USF- No Kidding sorry for the kids- but he's still quite a few years away from kicking the bucket.  He wasn't whining about news, he was just begging Jim to get us to a bowl next season.  

The point is, some of us do have a sense of ownership.  Some of us already donate, and receive weekly e-mails, phone calls, and get invited to socials, and all kinds of events for USF.   This crap that USF somehow owes people something is ridiculous.  They're trying, but anyone that expected AC/DC, a ribbon cutting by Iorio, and Steinbrenner to present a $10mm check at halftime for the baseball stadium, at our spring game needed their head examined.

It's a cart before the horse game...  Guys like Freak are starving for them to give him attention, but on the flip side the University is starving, and tight...they don't have the means to placate, and pacify every wannabe donor, or could be fan....you're either a fan or your not.   Fans figure out ways to get involved with the program, and trust me Leavitt's more than willing to help out.  The value of contributing to your University shouldn't be an unknown.  If it takes someone to explain it to you then there's some serious problems.  Listen, if you want to go to practice, or participate with the school, or become a journalist covering the school then you need to push the issue, call them up, ASK THEM!  Some of you HAVEN'T EVEN ASKED THEM.  You expect Leavitt to come up on the street and give you three tickets and a limo to practice.  Get involved instead of spending time on this board whining about it!!!!!!

Listen, criticize me, call me names for you naysayers behind some anonymous handle.  But the fact is I use my real name, and the USF reps read and know me.   Eric, Vickie, **** those people go out of their way to inform this board so you people stop being sniveling whining babies.  Either get involved or SHUT UP!

Call USF and tell them you're going to give them $1,000 and become a GreenJacket.  You'll be amazed by your access, and their candor.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

that's such bs, it's widely known leavitt has banned the media from spring practice that is why we don't have the spring coverage we should have. hell look at the spring football coverage for ucf,

I think I've seen one paragraph in the Tampa papers about UCF spring football....

our coverage is an embarrassment for a bcs team, and as fans there is nothing wrong for wanting more media coverage.

Nothing wrong with wanting more media coverage. I think we all want that, but to use that as an excuse for not supporting a team from the University you graduated from is a chicken ship copout.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

This is crap, including the junk spewed by Freak because half of his stuff is off the cuff.  Ownership smonership, some of us already have ownership because we give to the team, and support the University.  

Listen, there was close to fifty people at practice Tuesday, not including the visiting recruits, and school reps.  I saw a family friend that just endowed a scholarship for the team, and actually re-structured his will to give 50% to USF- No Kidding sorry for the kids- but he's still quite a few years away from kicking the bucket.  He wasn't whining about news, he was just begging Jim to get us to a bowl next season.  

The point is, some of us do have a sense of ownership.  Some of us already donate, and receive weekly e-mails, phone calls, and get invited to socials, and all kinds of events for USF.   This crap that USF somehow owes people something is ridiculous.  They're trying, but anyone that expected AC/DC, a ribbon cutting by Iorio, and Steinbrenner to present a $10mm check at halftime for the baseball stadium, at our spring game needed their head examined.

It's a cart before the horse game...  Guys like Freak are starving for them to give him attention, but on the flip side the University is starving, and tight...they don't have the means to placate, and pacify every wannabe donor, or could be fan....you're either a fan or your not.   Fans figure out ways to get involved with the program, and trust me Leavitt's more than willing to help out.  The value of contributing to your University shouldn't be an unknown.  If it takes someone to explain it to you then there's some serious problems.  Listen, if you want to go to practice, or participate with the school, or become a journalist covering the school then you need to push the issue, call them up, ASK THEM!  Some of you HAVEN'T EVEN ASKED THEM.  You expect Leavitt to come up on the street and give you three tickets and a limo to practice.  Get involved instead of spending time on this board whining about it!!!!!!

Listen, criticize me, call me names for you naysayers behind some anonymous handle.  But the fact is I use my real name, and the USF reps read and know me.   Eric, Vickie, **** those people go out of their way to inform this board so you people stop being sniveling whining babies.  Either get involved or SHUT UP!

Call USF and tell them you're going to give them $1,000 and become a GreenJacket.  You'll be amazed by your access, and their candor.

Like I said in my above post -- at this point maybe a lot of it doesn't matter and it is driven by demand.  As you said, if people want to follow the Bulls there are opportunities.  If not, there is no law that says they have to.   If things are going perfectly and to plan then it is all good.   USF may be charging down the path to greatness and we can all tag along for the ride.  

I know when I (or anybody here) types an opposing viewpoint I'm going to get painted as a traitor/turncoat.  It isn't the party line and maybe it should be ignored.  On the other hand, it is a good forum to gauge how others feel about issues such as this.    As I said above -- it may simply not be important at this point in the program's history.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  157

The thing is that everyone that is a member of this site is probly going far beyond what any other normal USF fan is doing.  We are the people who dont need extra media coverage to be fans because we already are.

Extra coverage for thoes who are not like us would make a big difference.  They would get there dose of USF coverage served to them on a little silver platter, by the news paper or tv.  And after seeing numerous articles and tv programs the would eventually become more interested and more likely to wonder where is the USF coverage if its not in the paper.  

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Just an FYI on the supposed dearth of coverage. St Pete Times has article on front page abiut USF basketball signee and 2/3 of back page is devoted to Bulls .............. now if they'd only send Greg to those away basketball games. Maybe once we're in the BE.   ;)

Guest are you kidding me?
The thing is that everyone that is a member of this site is probly going far beyond what any other normal USF fan is doing.  We are the people who dont need extra media coverage to be fans because we already are.

Extra coverage for thoes who are not like us would make a big difference.  They would get there dose of USF coverage served to them on a little silver platter, by the news paper or tv.  And after seeing numerous articles and tv programs the would eventually become more interested and more likely to wonder where is the USF coverage if its not in the paper.  

finally someone gets it. it doesn't cost usf a thing to open up practice to the media (all 6 or so journalists who bother reporting). it seems more like a personal issue with leavitt and that is where i disagree with his handling of the situation.  and no he's not closing practice because he wants to keep paterno in the dark about who's the qb, he's doing it because someone pissed him off, face it.

even the apologists have to admit they are frustrated with the way our admin markets our program. look usf has a good product but the only way to compete in tampa with the bucs dominating the headlines is to be more aggressive, and yes that also means reaching out to internet sites, and the hardcore fans, which they seem reluctant to do. give us something exciting to look forward to, especially when by most accounts it may be a long season.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

For years everyone has predicted doomsday for this University, yet things get done.

1. football facility.....exceeded everyone's expectations and some people's worst knightmare ;^)

2. Leavitt's contract got done.......funny how the same people who were ******** about giving him a blank check are now the same people ******** about leavitt. you can't have it both ways.

3. Big East membership.....nobody in the wildest dreams thought we would be included in even a watered down Big East. Yet people still *****

USF athletics like everything else at USF is a work in progress. However it's not the doom and gloom that is sometimes projected in the paper or on these boards.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Like I said in my above post -- at this point maybe a lot of it doesn't matter and it is driven by demand.  As you said, if people want to follow the Bulls there are opportunities.  If not, there is no law that says they have to.   If things are going perfectly and to plan then it is all good.   USF may be charging down the path to greatness and we can all tag along for the ride.  

I know when I (or anybody here) types an opposing viewpoint I'm going to get painted as a traitor/turncoat.  It isn't the party line and maybe it should be ignored.  On the other hand, it is a good forum to gauge how others feel about issues such as this.    As I said above -- it may simply not be important at this point in the program's history.

It's unfair for anyone to call those with an unpopular opinion a traitor. The fact they they still have an opinion still means that they care.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head regarding where we are in our development. IMO, nothing matters if we don't win.

If we don't win football games, we could market the heck out of our programs and it won't matter. For example, despite all the money UCF has spent and exciting facility improvements they have going on, have they seen a run on season tickets? If anything people are grousing about having to pay more for tickets.

Winning is everything. Thus if CJL thinks closing practices will make his job easier then we have to trust him.  With all that he has accomplished with the piss poor facilities and resources he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Even if we don't approve.