• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Hosts No. 12 SMU Sunday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

They have Jake playing lower left on the zone defense. Already given up a few threes and bigger guys on the court to play there.

He is certainly scrambling a little bit but I'd rather see the effort than not I suppose. He can let the easy inside shot go but he tries to double down under on occasion. 

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

How is this a good measuring stick game? We have 5 scholarship players and 2 walk ins and we are playing a top 10 team in the nation IMO. What did you really expect to happen, is to win? I mean it's possible but we needed to play perfect to do so and hope they miss their shots, neither which has happened.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

6 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

They have Jake playing lower left on the zone defense. Already given up a few threes and bigger guys on the court to play there.

They were giving up 3's before jake stepped on the court. 

Just now, Bulls_Fan09 said:

How is this a good measuring stick game? We have 5 scholarship players and 2 walk ins and we are playing a top 10 team in the nation IMO. What did you really expect to happen, is to win? I mean it's possible but we needed to play perfect to do so and hope they miss their shots, neither which has happened.

Measuring sticks can be both "how far have we come" and "how far do we have to go"... in this case, it shows the true distance Coach O needs to get the team to traverse.

4 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

Measuring sticks can be both "how far have we come" and "how far do we have to go"... in this case, it shows the true distance Coach O needs to get the team to traverse.

With this team yes, but it's not his fault that we are missing 4/5 of our key players and have to play a 7 man rotation wth 2 walk-ons. No coach would be successful with this many injuries, so it is unfair to jusge a coach because of that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

One game doesn't make a measuring stick .... and especially a game like this. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bulls_Fan09 said:

With this team yes, but it's not his fault that we are missing 4/5 of our key players and have to play a 7 man rotation wth 2 walk-ons. No coach would be successful with this many injuries, so it is unfair to jusge a coach because of that.

The opponent has a similar problem, tho.  They only have 7 players.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

Nice little runner there by McM. 

Mom hoping COA continues to get an opportunity to turn this around. Maybe some health on this squad will help that cause. But in honesty I think our poisonous fan base will be calling for his head mid season. I want to see these kids grow with the program, McM being the operative prospect, how Holston comes back, how Baxter fits in and Da Silva. But at this point that's more of a foregone conclusion unless next year we start off 7-0.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I think it's a good measuring stick for the guys coming back next year. And also for COA where in college basketball strategy can partially neutralize telent. No way was I expecting a win but was looking forward to seeing who on this team can play toe-to-toe with a really talented and well coached team.

Just based on the first half its clear that McMurray and Cousins are holding their own and then some. Gurerro shouldn't be any more than the first big man off the bench next year. And while the scholarship players in the floor today are gaining valuable experience none if them should see the court next year.

Like you said, good coaching can partially neutralize talent. No coach could come in and make this current team that good just because of the lack of talent. We have one player currently who can handle the ball efficiently. Next year we will have 4. Nunez and Morillo and careless with the ball a lot of times, but they have to play 30 minutes because we have no depth right now. Once McMurray gets help and isn't the only real threat outside of the paint, I think this team will be very dangerous, but that is not this year.

3 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

The opponent has a similar problem, tho.  They only have 7 players.

How many of them are walk ons?