Quinton Flowers QB, Miami Jackson HS

Hem

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,671
  • Days Won:  3

I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine had a son that was a top recruit. It was so crazy with the calls from recruiters and scouting sites that they encouraged him to commit and focus on his grades and graduation. He wound up de-committing months later but it turned out the kid had actually regretted the decision the next day but was too afraid to say anything right away (he hoped he would grow to like it).

So respect this kid for being quick to let us know what he's really thinking.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine had a son that was a top recruit. It was so crazy with the calls from recruiters and scouting sites that they encouraged him to commit and focus on his grades and graduation. He wound up de-committing months later but it turned out the kid had actually regretted the decision the next day but was too afraid to say anything right away (he hoped he would grow to like it).

So respect this kid for being quick to let us know what he's really thinking.

Great point ...

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I think this is why we all have to be careful about joining the butt hurt club. This young man still is really tight with Telly and very well might wind up here. All the rumors that were being spread down south it appears were just that. I understand Winky's enthusiasm and then his brothers sage advice. WE want him to be sure. My guess, he gets a load of West Virginia and comes back to places he knows. Plus it gives us some time to demonstrate to his brother that we would be a great spot for Winky to land.

'

Courtesy: Chris Hays/ Schuman's National Underclassmen           Release: June 26, 2013  

Quinton Flowers decommits USF faster than a 'Wink'

It's been a crazy last few weeks on the recruiting trail in the Sunshine State and Quinton 'Winky' Flowers' commit-then-decommit from the University of South Florida has been one of the highlights of the first half of June in Florida.

The Miami Jackson QB-ATH Flowers, ranked No. 38 in the NUC Florida Top 85 for 2014, might have set a record this past weekend for the fastest decommit in recruiting history. He committed to USF on Friday, but by Saturday morning and he had already changed his mind.

Winky said Monday that his older brother, Nathaniel, talked to him about his decision.

"He just felt like I was moving a little too fast," Flowers said. "So I'm still open and nobody is out of the picture. I'm going to go wherever God takes me ... that's where I'm going."

Flowers has said from the beginning that he's a quarterback and that's what he plans to play in college; however, in May when Alabama offered him a scholarship to play receiver or defensive back, he backed off his earlier edict.

"That's a pretty big program so I gotta think about that one," said Flowers.

This week, however, he said he is, first and foremost,  a quarterback and plans to do what he can to land a spot as such in college.

"I've played quarterback my whole life. Too late to change that now," he said.

Former Miami Central head coach Telly Lockett, now on the staff of new head coach Willie Taggart at USF, was the one who coaxed a commitment out of Flowers. Lockett, Flowers said, was understanding of his sudden reversal.

"Coach Lockett and I have a good relationship. We come from the same neighborhood and anything I need advice and anything I want to talk about, I always talk to Coach Lockett," Flowers said. "He was OK with it and said some people change their mind, but we still have that good bond and even if I do go there or if I don't, he'll still be that person who can give me advice about anything."

Flowers said he intends to visit Marshall and West Virginia to start off his summer tour, but beyond that he was unsure of where else he might go. This weekend he will be at the helm of the South Florida Fire, an all-star mix of Broward and Miami-Dade county players set to compete at the IMG National 7-on-7 Tournament in Bradenton

http://www.nationalunderclassmen.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23100&ATCLID=208517564

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

Lockett handled this great  I think we will get alot more then just this guy from the state of MIAMI.   Taggert picked his staff as good as Obama picked his first cabinet

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Someone needs to introduce Winky Flowers to Tampa Bay's other Winky--as in boxer Winky Wright. We can't have too many Winky's around these parts. :D

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Now I'm really confused. Didn't the IMG 7-on-7 National Championship just happen last weekend? So how is Winky going to lead the South Florida Fire in the tournament next weekend?

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276

Winky was at IMG this past weekend. They got bumped out in the quarterfinals by the South Florida Express Elite.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Now I'm really confused. Didn't the IMG 7-on-7 National Championship just happen last weekend? So how is Winky going to lead the South Florida Fire in the tournament next weekend?

The article or quote was obviously from before the competition, despite the date on the article shown. Just because we are always updated to the minute doesn't mean that the "media" is keeping up with us :D

Someone needs to introduce Winky Flowers to Tampa Bay's other Winky--as in boxer Winky Wright. We can't have too many Winky's around these parts. :D

We'll see your Winky and raise it.Darn I'm tempted to skirt Brad's request to calm down the language. I guess I'll just keep my Bullwinkle to myself.

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

The date on the article was June 26th. As a writer (and I should know), you have to make sure that the information in your article is up to date as of the release. Sometimes something develops maybe hours before your article goes out, and it's relevant, and you have to update it after the fact. But in this case the article came out like 3 days after the IMG tournament was already done.

Faux pas.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

247 just put something out today that says he doesn't even have us in his top 5 now. Sounds like his brother got in his earn and is pushing for him to play for a name, rather than a coach.