• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

under cloud of controversy, bonds explodes...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

"Baseball fans, like the writers, are gradually coming around. they know watching Bonds go deep is like watching the 6-foot-tall kid with the mustache strike out the side in the Little league World Series. Someone's cheating. ...The home run king has no clothes, and everyone knows it. In the end, the commissioner doesn't have to worry about putting an asterisk next to Barry Bonds in the record book. You can rest assured, Bud: It's already there."-- 11.16: Gerry Callahan, Boston Herald

Under cloud of controversy, Bonds wins 7th MVP award

By CHRISTIAN RED

New York Daily News

NEW YORK - While putting up incredible numbers - .362 average, 45 HRs, 232 BB and 101 RBI - that would earn him a record seventh National League MVP award, Barry Bonds was dogged all season by the BALCO steroid scandal.

Monday was no different. On a conference call with baseball writers to discuss the MVP award, announced earlier in the day, Bonds soon found himself on the defense. Again.

After only the second question - was this season more satisfying in light of the adversity Bonds faced? - the first signs of surliness emerged.

"I've been dealing with adversity my whole life, so I don't get concerned about what you guys write," Bonds said from Beverly Hills.

And the Giants' slugger became more exasperated with each subsequent BALCO reference, eventually ripping the San Francisco Chronicle's Henry Schulman. The Giants' beat writer asked Bonds to respond to an Oct. 16 Chronicle article about Greg Anderson, Bonds' trainer. Anderson was quoted as saying Bonds used "undetectable" performance-enhancing drugs during the 2003 season.

"Henry, you know me," said Bonds. "I don't react to anything you write." Bonds then exploded, demanding names of the reporters who wrote the Oct. 16 story, Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada.

"Who are they?" Bonds said. Schulman stammered for a second, and then only got out "Lance," before Bonds interjected, saying. "If they are from your company and you don't have names, how are you supposed to believe what you wrote?" Schulman was silent for several moments before Bonds sarcastically asked, "Anything else? I'll be happy to please you. I don't owe you a response. I don't owe anyone a response to anything."

Bonds also clarified how he feels about Yankee right fielder Gary Sheffield, who is also tied to the BALCO scandal and who stated publicly in the middle of this season that he no longer wanted to be friends with Bonds.

"I love Gary Sheffield. I have a lot of respect for him," Bonds said. "I never say anything negative about another ballplayer. You need to just write some other story."

Bonds, who said he plans to honor the remaining two years of his contract, finished with 24 first-place BBWAA votes, well ahead of the second-place finisher, Los Angeles' Adrian Beltre (six first-place votes). St. Louis teammates Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen were tied for third. At 40, Bonds is the oldest player to win the award and also the first to win four years straight.

So what's left?

"I need to win a World Series," said Bonds. "I want that championship to go on top of everything I've accomplished."

and cheating... don't forget that... i guess you left it out because it was too obvious

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

when you have any evidence please share it with the rest of us

People have been sharing evidence all year, its all over the news... you can write to the investigators, reporters etc... they will give it to you.  My job is just to tell my opinions and mine is that he is a cheater... and i'm pretty sure i'm in the majority.

you have shared old woman's gossip

That is all a message board is... gossip

true

but most does not rise to the level of "old woman's" gossip

like this bonds crap

awe..  don't get all defensive now... bonds is the cheater, not you... let him confront his detractors in person  ;)

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  0

I thought this post was about Bonds's head exploding from all the roid inflation.